Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: decent battery replacement

decent battery replacement

I tried a search but didn't find a dedicated thread here. I am looking to replace the battery in my 2000 4Runner. My local shop typically installs Interstate batteries for ~$93 out the door but recommends the 34R Optima Red top if money is no object (for me it is). I have no problem buying a battery and installing it myself to save a few $$s. My question is what battery would you all recommend for "normal" conditions? I live in tucson so it doesn't get cold, but it's definitely HOT all summer. Something with a warranty is best I suppose.

My options are Costco (not sure what brands/warranties they carry), Sears Die Hard batteries(I have heard they are good, but they irritated me by refusing to test my battery w/o charging $15, something auto zone and checker do for free), checker, auto zone, batteries plus etc.

Optima 34Rs seem to cost ~$170 here, I would prefer to spend less than $100 for something decent that can stand the heat. I do not have winches or compressors onboard. Any Tucsonans or other desert dwellers out there w/ battery advice?

Re: decent battery replacement

Sears has a nice battery that is actually a relabled odyseey battery, its mentioned in a thread around here.... I forget what it is though, sorry. hit up Lance, I know he just bought one.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I can no longer recommend the Optima Red Tops after going through three of them in the past five years. The OEM Toyota (Panasonic) batteries are out-lasting the Optimas 2:1.

I am running a Napa Orbital now. It may or may not be made by Optima...guess I'll find out in another year.

I installed another Interstate in my 96 since the previous one was good for 5 years. Picked it up locally for $86 and they took my old one as core.
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

I wouldn't buy another red top. I went through 2 of them in less than 3 years. Each time I had issues with AutoZone (where they were purchased) warrantying them. I did replace the red top with the Sears Diehard platinum. It was about the same price of the red top and had the side posts and top posts. The battery I got was for my full size Chevy truck and you'd have a hard time getting one into the factory location on a 4runner because of the size. I assume they make several popular sizes.
    I liked the gel cells because the truck always ran hot and in the summer the stock battery would boil creating what I thought was a dangerous situation (at least that's what I told my wife as an excuse to get an Optima). Do a little battery research and find out how many CCA you need and what RC numbers you want. Additional electronic devices you run or have added to the vehicle may play a part in the selection of the battery.

FWIW my 4runner had a WalMart battery in it when I got it and it has worked fine and I have no complaints. I think it says that on the side it says it was manufactured by enterstate.

Oh, by the way, never pay someone to "install" a battery in less you... never mind just do it yourself.

Thanks all, looks like the Red top is thankfully out based on your experiences. I had read something similar about the Optima YT being overrated too. I should call Auto zone or Checker to see what they have in stock, I know they test batteries too. I was mainly thinking Costco because they have a really nice warranty and possibly anice price. I typically just look up what battery on the rack is suitable for my vehicle, I have never had to research specs before. Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it.

~Joe aka Henry

I've had good luck with both the OEM toyota and interstate brand batteries.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I picked up the Sears Diehard Platinum. It's a re-badged Odyssey battery. Good stuff but they don't fit in the stock battery tray because it's a bit longer (by an inch or so).

Another option would be Exide batteries. That was the other battery I was considering.

At a minimum I would look for a battery that has a really long warranty program. The Sears one I picked up has a 4 yr warranty so I figure I won't be buying a battery ever
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I liked the gel cells because the truck always ran hot and in the summer the stock battery would boil creating what I thought was a dangerous situation (at least that's what I told my wife as an excuse to get an Optima).
    I'm so using this one of these days! (except for the optima part)
    I plan on going with the Diehard Platinum.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I liked the gel cells because the truck always ran hot and in the summer the stock battery would boil creating what I thought was a dangerous situation (at least that's what I told my wife as an excuse to get an Optima).

Well at the time it was for an Optima, plus she was my girlfriend then. Who knows why the hell I was so whipped back then. I went with the Die Hard when the red tops were dying. It was in the winter and I had to get jumped twice so to her it really didn't matter what was wrong or how much it really cost, she wanted it replaced. I guess that one of the reasons we own the 4runner now.

I'm so using this one of these days! (except for the optima part)
    I plan on going with the Diehard Platinum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast