Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welded front diff?? Consensus? Discuss!

Welded front diff?? Consensus? Discuss!

Okay, so in an effort to do a little better at Tellico this time around, I am considering dropping a welded 3rd I have laying around into my front axle (1984 SFA 4Runner) for the weekend of SETO....

I know that means I will have to unlock a hub to do much steering.... but what say you guys?
    Anyone running a welded front? When you are locked in the front, how hard is it to get around?

Lets hear it.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Re: Welded front diff?? Consensus? Discuss!

I'm sure you already saw this thread -> CLICK ME - 4runnerchevy/spooled

as long as you have the hubs unlocked on the street you should be fine. on the trail you might have some trouble steering if all 4 tires have good traction, if either front can slip a bit though, that helps
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

You also have to be more careful about not loading up your axle super hard when turned to full lock. Unless yo have longs birfs or something. I remember one time when Mikey (wifesays), blew a birf just trying to turn around on a big flat rock. He had some sort of locker up front that didnt unlock.
    Your front drive shaft will proabably make nasty sounds too.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

I say do it, unless you have a lead foot, and don't know when your axle is in a bind. As far as driveshaft noise, I don't have any.

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy
    As far as driveshaft noise, I don't have any.
    I think my drive line makes noise because it is too short, with too much angle. I'm sure yours is longer due to your longer tranny/t-case combo.

If chevy has been running welded fronts under his big V6 with out blowing them, I'm sure Rocko wont have a problem. As long as your careful.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

As with any system, it will have its weak spots. If you understand the weakness', and tailor your driving to cater to the weakness', you'll be just fine. It can still break, but it'll be less likely.

-I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Personally for me, it's a pain. Not that I do it often, but when you're one asphalt feels like the axle is going to fall out. If it isn't a daily driver, it's fine as long as you take it easy, but if you do a lot of street driving, I don't know if I'd recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by cooldry
    Personally for me, it's a pain. Not that I do it often, but when you're one asphalt feels like the axle is going to fall out. If it isn't a daily driver, it's fine as long as you take it easy, but if you do a lot of street driving, I don't know if I'd recommend it.
    Unless one plans on driving in 4wd to work and back, I dont think a welded front diff will make much difference on a daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankota
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldry
    Unless one plans on driving in 4wd to work and back, I dont think a welded front diff will make much difference on a daily driver.
    Oops my bad, I forgot about 2wd. I don't have an option. Mines full time 4wd... Proceed as planned.

It's a trailer rig, it never sees pavement. and when it does it's in 2WD with hubs unlocked.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast