Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welded front diff?? Consensus? Discuss!

Re: Welded front diff?? Consensus? Discuss!

Chris the only problem is in snow. As with any spool/lincoln, it takes a special kind of driving. When your spooled in the front its even more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankota

I think my drive line makes noise because it is too short, with too much angle. I'm sure yours is longer due to your longer tranny/t-case combo.

If chevy has been running welded fronts under his big V6 with out blowing them, I'm sure Rocko wont have a problem. As long as your careful.
    My driveline is still near stock length + added for lift and axle forward. My transfer case is in the same place as stock and motor is a bit forward.

As for the V6 I just dont have a lead foot, and I don't have a clutch.

As an added note, my birfields will break, and probably soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy
    Chris the only problem is in snow. As with any spool/lincoln, it takes a special kind of driving. When your spooled in the front its even more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankota

I think my drive line makes noise because it is too short, with too much angle. I'm sure yours is longer due to your longer tranny/t-case combo.

If chevy has been running welded fronts under his big V6 with out blowing them, I'm sure Rocko wont have a problem. As long as your careful.
    My driveline is still near stock length + added for lift and axle forward. My transfer case is in the same place as stock and motor is a bit forward.

As for the V6 I just dont have a lead foot, and I don't have a clutch.

As an added note, my birfields will break, and probably soon.
    Thats cool that you were able to keep everything in the original location.

One difference between the first gen pickups and your runner is that my trans is much shorter that your OEM trans. Mikeys rig "farttruck" an '85 runner, has a much longer driveline than mine does. I guess now I'll just have to get doubles to cure the excessive angle issues.
    I imagine Rocko's rig has the longer trans, and he's not starving for joint angle yet.

The extra stress put on my driveline by the locked front, caused the center bearing on the double cardon joint (cant remember what its called) to wear prematurely. The last time I replaced it I made a bronze bushing to fit. Now its wore out too. Thats why it makes nasty noises.

As of yet, I have never broken a birf, but certainly not for lack of trying. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they hold 'till I can drop something a little tougher in the housings. But like you said, stuff does break, thats why we carry spares.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

Hey tank, I am about to help build an 83 so look out !

Sweet man! I love seeing the older trucks out playing. I think they are one of the best looking trucks ever produced!
    You better post pics now, you know that. (on another thread)
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12