Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hennessy Hammock, This thing is the $#!%

Hennessy Hammock, This thing is the $#!%

After spending some time outdoors here in New York and mingling with fellow campers, I have been turned on to hammock camping. There is a certain hammock in particular that everyone uses. The Hennessy hammock isn't like a regular hammock you would find in a Corona commercial, its more like a tent-cocoon thing... Its totally enclosed with an integrated mesh top/mosquito net a self closing drunk-proof velcro entrance and an asymmetrical shape to allow somebody to sleep totally flat (on their back side and stomach). It also has a pretty nice rain fly and anti-sway supports.

I ordered one from REI after a few camping trips where I wasn't able to find a decent spot for a tent. (For those of you who know how I usually camp, I didn't bring my roof-rack out here) Anyway, after the first night in this thing I fell in love! They aren't really popular on the west coast, or at least in Southern California due to the lack of trees. But they can be set up between two big rocks using tow straps, strung up between two trucks, or set up with bivy poles. Out here it works great, since wherever I go its like a trip to Big Bear.

Alot of people out here have tricked out their hammocks with extra space for storage, water collection do-hickies, larger rain flys, and most importantly, insulation. Since your back is pressed up against the fabric of the hammock and against the elements, most of the insulation is lost since sleeping bags, jackets etc are compressed. Some solutions are a wide closed-cell foam pad on the inside or a double outer layer with a quilt in between or some other type of lofted insulation. It is seriously the best night's sleep you can get while camping.

Here are a few shots of my setup.

A tricked out setup...
    http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/hiki...Pond-Camp2.JPG

And here's their website.
    http://hennessyhammock.com/

Rig Specs <br />&#039;94 4Runner 3.0L V6 4x4, 33&quot; Goodyear MT/R, 4&quot; SAS, All-Pro Bumpers and Sliders, Tubingworks Fender Armor, Rear 5&quot; Marlin Leaf Springs, Bilstien 5150 front &amp; 5125 Rear, Warn M8000, K&amp;N Filtercharger, 300w Power Inverter, Optima Yellow Top, Viair 450C, Cobra 75WXST CB w/ Firestik II, Flowmaster 40 Series, Viper Keyless Entry, Rear-Detroit Soft Locker, Front-Detroit EZ Locker<br />Trail Pics

Re: Hennessy Hammock, This thing is the $#!%

Thats cool Josh...not sure where to set it up at Superstitions though
    1995 4runner--SAS'd and armored--GONE

1998 4Runner--under construction--GONE

2003 4runner...the new project

I had one, it sucks if your a sleeper who moves alot and when it gets cold your arse feels it unless you insulate well.

Otherwise I liked it.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by Marc P
    Thats cool Josh...not sure where to set it up at Superstitions though
    Just string it between a couple of tube buggies.

I've been thinking about getting some sort of hammock for camping too. I could just strap one end to my cage, and then only have to find something to tie the other end too. Farttruck maybe?
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

thats what im doing out at pismo... hahah.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Nice find Josh! How would you compare this to sleeping in a cot?
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

It doesn't feel as structured or taut as a cot and doesn't have any hardpoints to knock up against.
    Rig Specs <br />&#039;94 4Runner 3.0L V6 4x4, 33&quot; Goodyear MT/R, 4&quot; SAS, All-Pro Bumpers and Sliders, Tubingworks Fender Armor, Rear 5&quot; Marlin Leaf Springs, Bilstien 5150 front &amp; 5125 Rear, Warn M8000, K&amp;N Filtercharger, 300w Power Inverter, Optima Yellow Top, Viair 450C, Cobra 75WXST CB w/ Firestik II, Flowmaster 40 Series, Viper Keyless Entry, Rear-Detroit Soft Locker, Front-Detroit EZ Locker<br />Trail Pics

Those are cool, I've toyed with the idea of getting one. Only problem is I don't get to go solo anymore.
    My signature

Maybe you could customize one and make it a double wide hammock. Just dont thrash around too much in there
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

They have them, but most reviews say that two people sleeping in them sucks. Especially since that 2nd person on most wheeling trips will be my 4yr old son who can't stay still to save his life. Maybe string him up in his own.
    My signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast