Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Blade/Knife Thread.

Re: The Blade/Knife Thread.

I also found my first knife. I used to wear it backpacking and camping as a kid. I abused the heck out of this thing and cut my self many times. I remember throwing this thing at trees and missing and hitting rocks, hitting it with a hammer, etc... I still have the matching hatchet that came with it and it rides in the 4runner at all times.

Good old Eastwing camping special

Apparently, last time I stumbled across it, I sharpened it with my grinder. That's how I sharpen my hatchet too. I must have done a damn good job because this sucker is razor sharp! (even though it doesn't look like it)
    My signature

Damn dude, I wouldn't want to be cut by that Eastwing. The LMF on the other hand. I've wanted one since they've come out but haven't bought one because the one fixed blade I use doesn't even get much use.
    I'd try some navel jelly or rust converter for your RH-36. Chances are the surface is slightly pitted so it'll only get "kind of good." Or just use the heck out of it and let it age and fix itself. I've seen restorations of KA-Bars on spyderco forums but they are mostly safe queens.

Nice find on your old gear. I too had a hatchet and I loved that thing. To this day I'm not sure why my parents thought it was a good thing for me to have but as a good child I never doubted their decision. The trees in their backyard might of thought differently. I'll never get my hatchet back though. It's at the bottom of lake near South Lake Tahoe. When I was 10 or 11 my buddys and I were allowed to go on a hike alone and of course we took the hatchets. Two of us lost our hatchets that day "duck hunting."

Mike, I just read that "duck hunting" Yeah, I really don't know how I still have that hatchet and knife. I abused the hell out of them.

Got a couple "bottle openers" today. Presents from April, that I ordered. Actually just the CRKT Eat'N Tool was what I was supposed to order for my stocking, but I "accidentally" ordered the Gerber Epic too. Then again, I "accidentally" bought her a Nintendo 3DS, so it's fine.

The Gerber Epic has mixed reviews, but I had to get it. If anything, I was going to slap a magnet on it and just have a kick ass bottle opener on my fridge. So far looks like it's going to be great. I wanted a smaller fixed blade that I can put on my pack on the shoulder strap, since the LMF II is a little too massive right there all the time. The clip on the Epic can be switched side to side (LH or RH), and it can also be swapped so it can be handle up, handle down.
    My signature

Chris - how is the epic about staying in the sheath? I want something for the shoulder strap of my GH bag that i keep in the truck (and the wife's too). been eyeballing the Gerber/Bear Grylls survival knife, but I am unsure, and some reviews says it stays in sheath great handle down, and others say not so much...
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

It's a tactical spork!
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

It's a T-Spork 1.0

Chris- there shouldn't be any problem with the knife coming loose from the sheath, it clicks in and you have to push up on the locking piece of plastic to remove the knife. Only thing to think about is the fact that it only has a clip and not a full loop, so there will always be the possibility of it being knocked off. Everyone gives Gerber crap for this, but it makes sense, you can't really use the bottle opener unless you hold onto the blade, hence the fact that the whole combo only has a clip so that the sheath acts as a handle for the bottle opener. I can see how Gerber probably would have been sued by someone who cut themselves because they held the blade wrong when opening a bottle, so they made it safer by making sure that the sheath can stay on.

The clip could definitely be made of stiffer metal, but it should be just fine on a shoulder strap as long as you have the clip in the right position and it doesn't constantly rub against something that could work the clip up and off the webbing. I'll take more pics tonight, so you can see what I'm talking about.

My signature

Few more pics of the Gerber Epic

A better look at the clip

The last hour or so of work, I wore it in my boot like this. Stayed in place just fine, and forgot it was there after 5mins.

Crappy pic, but here it is on my belt. I don't really like it there as it puts the handle up pretty high. Makes me feel like I'm reaching for a pistol or something. I did wear it like that last night at a bonfire because everyone was using it to open their beers, so it was convenient to just clip it to my belt everytime I got it back. Also, puts your shirt up really high in order to keep it legal and not conceiled, so it's annoying to wear it like that around town.

My signature

I'm really digging this Benchmade Griptilian

SOG Flash 1 will arrive on Tuesday. I couldn't argue with the $32 price tag to my door. The Benchmade was a little more costly.

Kyocera 3" ceramic pairing knife. For the kitchen. Still nice and sharp after having it over a year and using it on a pretty regular basis for peeling apples, slicing fruits and vegetables, slicing chicken/steak/pork..

Also comes in all black if you're wanting tacticool in the kitchen.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast