Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Broken Inner CV Axle Shaft

Removing Broken Inner CV Axle Shaft

When the CV breaks at the inner axle shaft extraction or teardown are the two options. The broken shaft in inaccessible by simple measures.

-Jack and support front end safely

-Remove tire, damaged CV and shock assembly (Plenty of write-ups on CV removal)

-Mark and indent center of broken shaft

-Wedge paper into the bottom of the housing to catch metal shavings

-Make sure your drill fits into the tight space at a straight angle. If the drill does not fit removal of the LCA is required. The DeWalt I used was big and had to be operated upside-down to get a straight line on the shaft

-Use a 5/16 cobalt/tungsten carbide tip bit for drilling. Drill a pilot indention with 4WD disengaged to spin the shaft and center the hole more easily

-Engage 4WD and front locker and drill approximately ½ inch deep

-Start the 3/8 tap by hand and continue with a wrench. Back the tap out every so often to clean the threads and clear metal particles, wasted gear oil will assist the tap

-Thread the 3/8 bolt and remove the shaft with a slide hammer. The Harbor Freight model I used was 3/8 and threaded directly into the shaft. Otherwise use a 3/8 bolt and slide hammer jaws. (in the tools pic note the shaft piece at the end of the slide hammer)

-Thoroughly clean the housing to remove any shavings/debris

-Change the diff fluid and check the drain plug for metal after a few miles if needed

1998 LTD|DoubleLocked|Yukon 4:88|SMP Bumpers &amp; Armor|315 BFG KM2|Sonoran Steel|BudBuilt|Warn Recovery &amp; Hubs<br />NewMexicoBackroads.blogspot.com

Re: Removing Broken Inner CV Axle Shaft

Good job on that fix.
    Not sure how else you'd get that out besides the way you did it.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Awesome write up.
    wonder if ones without a front locker could do this...

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    just leave the other tire on the ground or wedge it or something.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I'm glad I could help you with this man. Its a weird break and I guess my instuctions we're good enough. LOL thank for the right up to!!

96 4Runner, 4in OME/LC lift (883&#039;s w/ top plate spacer, Land Cruiser&#039;s 8 coil) 2in Body Lift 315/75/16&#039;s. rear e-locker&nbsp; <br />I UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE JEEP THING THATS WHY I HAVE A TOYOTA!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    just leave the other tire on the ground or wedge it or something.
    X2

The answer is yes, absolutely.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Thanks for the info, you along with Sonoran Steve and Jon (111db) had some good input that needed to be there for the next person that breaks a shaft in this form. This would make a tough trail fix to bother hauling the tools, but it is a good DIY. The Harbor Freight slide hammer fits into the space perfectly and cost $16.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Runner202020
    I'm glad I could help you with this man. Its a weird break and I guess my instuctions we're good enough. LOL thank for the right up to!!

1998 LTD|DoubleLocked|Yukon 4:88|SMP Bumpers &amp; Armor|315 BFG KM2|Sonoran Steel|BudBuilt|Warn Recovery &amp; Hubs<br />NewMexicoBackroads.blogspot.com

this happened to a taco last year i was wheeling with. he put the stub shaft back in the hub, and put a latex glove around where the diff was open. when he went home he did the same thing u did and it worked easy.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

We added armor over plastic-wrap

You wouldnt want to do it as a trail fix, (but I dont think your way is going to happen on the trail either)but it is fixable other ways, teardown of the front diff, no it isnt fun, but yes, its possible. I'll post the goodies up in a minute.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast