Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: front lockers

front lockers

i tried searching for this, but i guess there is no threads on it.

im thinking about a locker for the front of my 4runner. id like an arb but its way to much money. what other options are there besides a lockright. please give me any input you have about front lockers in tacos or 4runners with this style ifs. i have wheeled hard and am not afraid to use the skinny pedal when needed, but i never broke a front cv and dont want to start destroying cv's all the time. i figure i might not have to hammer up some things if im locked but i know there will come a time when the skinny pedal is needed. new england wheelin is a lil different then what you guys have out west. but ya any input please
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Re: front lockers

aussie i think is the only option up front short of welding it.

but id suggest maybe going manual hubs if you do that for daily driving..

The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

If you get a front locker, I would say manual hubs are a must!

But there are detroits, aussie, lockrights, any style of lunchbox locker...

The ARB, of course, which I am not a personal fan of, and are $$$$.

Heck, just SAS and put an e-locker in the front.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I don't think they make a true full Detroit locker for the 7.5". I think it is the detroit truetrac, which is more like a LSD.
    My signature

ARB is the only way to go in the front. I have driven fj40 with auto-lockers in the front, you can't turn when you want to, you end up doing 3 pt turns when every one else just turns.

Go with a selectable locker on your IFS (if they make it). I run a welded front, but I have the advantage of hydro-assist (which would be harder to do on an IFS), and twins. My turn radius is OK and I don't have to make three point turns. I am also not a fan of ARB. I am also still unsure of the electric ones, only time will tell.

if they sell one, ive thought about an lsd type up front to be a tad easier on the cv's, but i fear it may just act like its open when one tire wants to spin easily and the other is tryin to climb a rock. rocko taco, im tryin to prevent a sas for a lil while since i have no money for that but im thinkn if i get my gas tank relocated, clock the tcase and almost flat belly it, AND lock the front, ill be in a good position. i really really dont want to switch to manual hubs for this. why do you recomend it so much? just to unlock one wheel if you cant turn on the trail?

I ran an 8" TrueTrac LSD up front for years, It lacked what I was looking for. It takes a special kind of driving to get it to work, you had to apply some breaks to get it to grab.

whats the difference between aussie and lockright? they look exactly the same? i had a lockright in the rear of my truck for a while and hated it.

i forgot about the trutrac

but aussie, trutrac and arb are it for the 7.5, no selectable electrics and or detroits.

i think aussie and lockright are pretty much the same in comparison
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast