Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: front lockers

Re: front lockers

Quote Originally Posted by 20005spd
    if they sell one, ive thought about an lsd type up front to be a tad easier on the cv's, but i fear it may just act like its open when one tire wants to spin easily and the other is tryin to climb a rock. rocko taco, im tryin to prevent a sas for a lil while since i have no money for that but im thinkn if i get my gas tank relocated, clock the tcase and almost flat belly it, AND lock the front, ill be in a good position. i really really dont want to switch to manual hubs for this. why do you recomend it so much? just to unlock one wheel if you cant turn on the trail?
    i might be wrong but with a full time locker and no manual hubs your front shafts and diff still turn so you would have the effect of the front tires locked at all times, and in the snow on the street with 4wd engaged if you have a full time front locker i guess it is darn near imposible to control unless you are going really slow... i could be wrong.
    96 4Runner, 4in OME/LC lift (883&#039;s w/ top plate spacer, Land Cruiser&#039;s 8 coil) 2in Body Lift 315/75/16&#039;s. rear e-locker&nbsp; <br />I UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE JEEP THING THATS WHY I HAVE A TOYOTA!!

When we were running the Rubicon in 2006, I went with my FJ40 club (TLCA). There were rigs with auto-lockers, spools. Let me tell you, when we were on the slabs and in the tight turns of big-slues these guys were doing 3 pt turns. We are talking about a rig with 92" wheel base need 3pt turns, I would disengage both my ARB's and make the turn. For a truck with IFS you will want the ability to unlock the diff, this will allow you to turn sharp and not worry about popping a CV. I only lock the front when i need it, and i make sure the tires are as strait as possible, staying out the the gas if i am turning sharp. With this technique I have only broken 5 Birfs, some times you just can avoid it.

ARB is the only way to go. If you put an ARB in the front, you won't regret it. They're awesome!
    -andy

the more i think of it, i think im gonna break cv's all the time with a aussie or lockright. i wheeled with a 3rd gen this weekend in nh and he has a lockright up front. he broke a cv and i didnt, and my tires are heavier and bigger. i was just at the eaton site and trutrac may be the only option for me, unless i decide to drop crazy money for arb. any recommendations where to get one, just wanna see the price any experience with trutracs on ifs?
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamachem
    ARB is the only way to go. If you put an ARB in the front, you won't regret it. They're awesome!
    after having a lockright, and a welded rear then finally dishin out money for an elocker i couldnt be happier. i just look at the price for an arb up front and think about sinking that money into the fj60 axle i have sittin in my shed for my 4runner haha.

An advantage to having manual locking hubs is that you can unlock them while in 2WD. This keeps all rotating components (front driveshaft, CVs, etc) from turning while in 2WD and can prolong the life of all these components. Very recommended, IMHO.

I think a selectable locker is the only way to go on an IFS truck, so I would just go with the ARB. Too bad the e-locker doesn't fit or that there aren't any other selectables out.

Just my $.02.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

A front LSD gives you half the benefits of a front locker and all the drawbacks, odd steering, etc.

A lunchbox type front involves steering only every second time you want to.

ARB's are spendy but there is nothing like being able to be open and turn at the push of a button.

I firmly believe everyone else who claims Detroits and similar are transparent are delusional, especially in a DD truck that sees 4wd time on road.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

well thanks so far guys. it seems like im hearing what i didnt wanna beleive haha, that selectable is the only way for this situation. i was just hoping there was some other option that wont suck. after having the elocker i agree that selectable is the way to go for dd's front or rear. no draw backs on the street, and on the trail i turn it off so i can turn and not get pushed into the corner and its awesome to see the benefit of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    A front LSD gives you half the benefits of a front locker and all the drawbacks, odd steering, etc.
    i figured thats exactly what i would get.

as far as manual hubs, i know auto spins all the time and manual dosent but i really dont care to spend much money and time switching to manual when i might as well save that money for auto hub parts that probably wont break do to spinning all time. im having a hard time justifying an arb front never mind a manual hub swap in the process.

manual hub conversion: about 1100 dollars (not including labor)

arb air locker: about 1000 dollars (all said and done including labor)
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    manual hub conversion: about 1100 dollars (not including labor)

arb air

locker: about 1000 dollars (all said and done including labor)
    Did ya have to discourage the guy...?
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast