Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: front lockers

Re: front lockers

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    manual hub conversion: about 1100 dollars (not including labor)

arb air locker: about 1000 dollars (all said and done including labor)
    My manual hub set up was around 500 bucks.

I could do the arb locker for around 850

i dont pay for labor. i was a tech for nissan, but am currently laid off due to our wonderful economy. my tool box is at my dads machine shop. only thing i dont feel comfortable doing is setting up diffs. i have installed a lockright before but if i spend the money on arb i have a place lined up with people i trust. i really dont think manual hubs is needed. so they dont spin when you drive normally....whether its manual or auto your still gonna break a cv occasionally just bring spare cv's with you is the way i see it.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

the add system is actually stronger since it uses drive flanges, nothing in the hub to break because there is no hub. usually you will grenade the actual cv joint, and those can be replaced with a little knowledge and a proper socket out on the trail.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

i remember hearing that one of them was considered stronger, but wasnt sure which one

I ran a front locrite for a while in my 3rd gen. Its really n ot bad. . at all on the road. I could barely ever notice it. Eventually it wears tho and it did get a little worse. I ended up upgrading to manual hubs

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    manual hub conversion: about 1100 dollars (not including labor)

arb air locker: about 1000 dollars (all said and done including labor)
    You gotta go used on hte manual hubs, I scored mine for $100 and installed them myself. I actually made money selling my add cv's
    99 Toy 4Runner<br />Retrofitted elocker, lockrite up front<br />4:88s<br />35&#039;s with 2.5&quot; lift<br />Custom front bumper with Milemarker 8k pound winch

it snows where i live so the lockright may be ok for you on the street, but in snow turning with a lockright up front in 4wd will probably suck.

thats why you gotta get manual hubs... only lock one not both.
    96 4Runner, 4in OME/LC lift (883&#039;s w/ top plate spacer, Land Cruiser&#039;s 8 coil) 2in Body Lift 315/75/16&#039;s. rear e-locker&nbsp; <br />I UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE JEEP THING THATS WHY I HAVE A TOYOTA!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Runner202020
    That doesn't work at all. The truck endlessly pulls to the side with the locked hub. Its easier to drive in 2wd at that point.

In addition, turning sucks. People say you can hop out and unlock a hub when you need to turn, but I doubt anyone who says that has tried it. That would suck so unbelievably much, and everyone with you would be annoyed after about 15 minutes, since you'd have to stop constantly.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

im with axleike on that one

Quote Originally Posted by AxleIke
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Runner202020
    That doesn't work at all. The truck endlessly pulls to the side with the locked hub. Its easier to drive in 2wd at that point.

In addition, turning sucks. People say you can hop out and unlock a hub when you need to turn, but I doubt anyone who says that has tried it. That would suck so unbelievably much, and everyone with you would be annoyed after about 15 minutes, since you'd have to stop constantly.
    thats where twinsticks come into play

dont bother unlocking, just throw it into 2lo
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast