Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good, reliabe external hd

Good, reliabe external hd

help me out here. I have 500 gigs of harddrive space but between me recording tv shows and the new digital video camera i bought, im gonna run out soon.

i have 200 gigs free.

I'd like to get a 2-300 gig ext harddrive, either usb 2.0 or firewire would be fine.

any brands you guys like? i had a maxtor that died on me randomly within like 7 months of purchase, so im steering clear of them. im thinking maybe a western digital?

i found a few that are around 250-350 gigs for about 80-120 bucks or so, depending on brand/size.

words of experience would help, thanks!
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Re: Good, reliabe external hd

western digital. I have ever had a problem with them.
    Philip<br />-90 2Dr 4runner<br />www.cootees.net

I like the WD's. I have the 160gb pocket drive and my dad has a 250gb big external. No problems.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

awesome thanks. i thought WD would be the way to go

i got the maxtor (80 gig) VERY cheap, so i guess you get what you pay for.

ill get a WD 250. thanks guys.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

well, for what it's worth, i've been real happy with these seagate external HDs
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...rtable_drives/
    i have two, one 60gb, one 100gb. super quiet, and real portable.

I found it to be a little cheaper and easier to buy a regular hard drive and an external case. I backed up my movies onto one hard drive, pictures onto another and store both of them in the safe. I only need one enclosure at a time really so it works out nice I think.
    1 3 5<br />|-|-|<br />2 4 R<br /><br />http://sr5-4runner.com

I have had some good personal experience with Seagate. I used to have an old 80GB 5400RPM Maxtor that was loud as hell before. Seagate drives are very quiet and for me, super reliable.

From what I have heard (literally) WD's are even a little quieter and just as reliable (this I heard figuratively ).

Either way, I'd get the hard drive and case seperately. Sure, you might not get all the one-touch features but that's not a great inconvinience, plus I'd think upgrade is easier.

Good luck
    :Marko:<br />
    Supercharged[COLOR=Sienna] 98 4Runner SR5 4x4 3.4L<br />315cc Injectors :: 4&quot; Deckplate :: TrueFlow Air Intake System :: Magnaflow 18&quot; Muffler w/ Resonator<br />XM Sat Radio (Roady XT) :: Autometer Boost Gauge :: Color Keyed Spoiler<br />
    <br /><br />
    TOYOTA|moving forward

I have 2 of the western digitals.
    And a home built, which if i remember right it was either a Hitachi or a western digital drive.
    Have a home built and a Lecasie(?) at the office.
    Have used the big dollar Maxtor ones in a few offices and have had no reported problems. a couple of them have been on the ground for a bout a year now.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

thanks guys. ill look into seagate as well
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

be sure to open the box before asking questions
    ha, i kid.

tigerdirect.com has some good hd deals lately, might want to check them out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast