Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog booties

Dog booties

I'm looking forward to taking my dogs up to the snow for the first time this winter. But I have zero experience as far as what they need for their feet. For all those that live in the colder climates, do you guys put booties on your dogs when you take them out for a long time in the snow? I have two labs. Thanks for any help.

Re: Dog booties

It's probably not the snow itself that will dictate if you want to use booties, but the actual outside temp. IIRC, one way dogs shed body heat is through their foot pads. As long as you can get booties big enough that their nails won't be catching on the inside, I'd say better safe that sorry . . .
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Hey David,

We use this on our goldie:

Source: Ruff Wear

But it's more just for regular trails though and not necessarily snow. Haven't had the opportunity to take any of our dogs up to see snow so I can't say for sure.

One thing to note: if your dogs have never worn something like this it'll be an "interesting" experience worth filming. I was laughing my tail off watching now the goldie walked for a good 2-3 minutes
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

How cold are we talking? If they do a lot of hiking normal, than they will be fine as is. Spray some cooking spray on there paws if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    Hey David,

We use this on our goldie:

Source: Ruff Wear

But it's more just for regular trails though and not necessarily snow. Haven't had the opportunity to take any of our dogs up to see snow so I can't say for sure.

One thing to note: if your dogs have never worn something like this it'll be an "interesting" experience worth filming. I was laughing my tail off watching now the goldie walked for a good 2-3 minutes
    Hey Lance the Ruff Wear booties are the ones I was thinking of getting. But before I spend the money on them, I figure I should get some input first. I read some comments about how the dogs do a funny dance when you put them on. The instructions say to take them for a run as soon as they get them on so they get used to them quickly. Do you think they are necessary when you take the dogs out?

Whitey, I figure it would be between 20 to 40 in the mountains.

Well, at least you won't have to worry about salt. Claire and I got a dog 2 months ago and we'll be getting them to protect paws from road salt which dries them out and makes them very uncomfortable.

Those shown look like good warm weather booties but that mesh might be too porous for cold weather.

Frank
    1985 FJ-60, 3FE, Hell Creek lift, 2009 H3 sold

looks like my wife's sport sandals

My dog has never worn any booties but he's been to the snow a bunch of times. They're more excited to be there than to worry about being cold.

I would think in 20-40 degree weather the dogs would be okay without any booties.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    My dog has never worn any booties but he's been to the snow a bunch of times. They're more excited to be there than to worry about being cold.
    How long is he out in the snow? My plan is to take them with me when I go snow shoeing. I figure two to three hours. That seems like a long time to be in the snow barefoot. I guess I'll just have to try it and keep a close eye on their feet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast