Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stupid question, but going to a dealership to photograph cars... more inside

stupid question, but going to a dealership to photograph cars... more inside

Charles might know where im getting with this, basically i have a final project for my photo class and its a themed photo shoot, and i was going to do exotic cars, i can pretty much guarantee that i can get with bentley, rolls, bmw, merc, and lexus, but the last 3 dont really count, and i need to work with ferrari, aston martin, maserati, possibly find me a viper or two, and lambo if i can find out where that dealer is

possible illegal to do so? throw in a 20 to each sales person to get his approval.. or any ideas would work, or tell me im a dumbass for even wasting this much space in the off topic section
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Re: stupid question, but going to a dealership to photograph cars... more inside

Usually the showrooms have nice big windows to display their cars. Go when the dealership is closed and shoot some photos through the glass. I did that a few times with some of the exotic car dealerships in Beverly Hills and the photos came out pretty well. Since they want the cars to look good the lighting was already set up.

Re: stupid question, but going to a dealership to photograph cars... more inside

Quote Originally Posted by cooldry
    Usually the showrooms have nice big windows to display their cars. Go when the dealership is closed and shoot some photos through the glass. I did that a few times with some of the exotic car dealerships in Beverly Hills and the photos came out pretty well. Since they want the cars to look good the lighting was already set up.
    ill do that as well, i need to get up close and present odd angles though as its going to be a different type of project.

i gotta call my dad up tonight to see if he can get in contact with one of the bentley guys and i can take one or two of the cars out to a place i know and shoot them.

Not to far fetched. We used to pass a few bills to dealership owners, for some time with thier cars. We used to measure thier window frames for car racks. Then we would rent more time once we had prototypes. I have rented time with the big Italian, and German auto makers, although I doubt they told thier bosses in thier perspective countries. This was back when the change from gutters to gutterless.

Why not just walk in and ask? I mean if it's an educational reason I don't see why they would say no. It's not like you're going to sit inside and drive it around the block (though that would be pretty sweet to do). Worst case they say "no". I think if you can present yourself well and state the objective and purpose for the paper I would think that they'd help you out.

Good luck
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

thanks Lance, my dad used to know the owner of the bentley dealership but he sold it to some new guy, im just going to go in looking nice and try and talk with them to see if i can have one of them drive me to a cool area.

i only need to take a couple of pictures of 2 cars with backgrounds, the rest i can do on the lot and im also going to to an artistic engine shot of a modena if i can, or if i can find an audi dealership with an R8 ill get an engine pic of it.

this should be the best project in terms of fun that ive ever had to do.

It's free advertising for them (even though the dealer logo isn't in the shot) so I don't see why they would balk. Just remember to put on a good dog and pony show . . .
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I'm sure you already know this, but make sure to take your portfolio (or at least your vehicle shots portfolio) so that they will know you're not just some punk with a camera.

And post pics when you're done.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    I'm sure you already know this, but make sure to take your portfolio (or at least your vehicle shots portfolio) so that they will know you're not just some punk with a camera.

And post pics when you're done.
    i did know that but forgot about that lol, so thanks for reminding me Chris!!

The problem with just going to dealerships is that you have all those cars packed together on the lot. So its hard to get a picture with just one of them. . .unless your going for multiple cars in each shot?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast