Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exploding cut off wheels

Exploding cut off wheels

This was sent to us at work from our safety dept.

I believe the guy just got a few scratches and had to change his underwear.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: Exploding cut off wheels

holy crap! and to think i only wear safety glasses when using a cutoff wheel...
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Uhmmm yeah... Thats bad mmmkay.
    &quot;Your love for me is founded in a sentiment. My love for you is founded in the body. A precarious interchange.&quot; - Mason Cooley

I have had them come apart but not into my mask. Looks to me like he had the hood down while grinding, is the lense auto-darkening ?, or was he cutting blind ?

you can see the floor through the lens so I think its auto. thats nuts!
    1988 4Runner 3.Slow<br /><br />-33x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radials<br />-High flow cat/ flowmaster muffler<br />-Engine replaced at 200k<br />-Green Rattle can paint + Herculiner<br /><br />Wanted<br />1st gen parts, door hinges, interior etc...<br /><br /><br />God works through Christians; I am a Christian.<br />-George W. Bush

That's just a clear lens in the mask. An auto lens wouldn't be that clear. The one with it on him has the dark rectangle p'chopped in (to protect the naive I'd assume).

That's an impressive failure. Something that catastrophic is usually user error though. Twisting the grinder while cutting through stock and binding the wheel would cause that. Also, using a cutoff wheel for surface grinding can cause that sort of failure.

Appears to be a cheap press-board mask too (although I rarely use anything more than a safety goggles or a wood lathe (read flimsy) shield. Kind of makes you want to wear something protective around your neck...
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

if you look at each surface of the disk, it appears he was using more that just the leading edge for cutting and grinding... stupid.

using a full face shield is a good idea, keeps the sparks off the face too, but i rarely use it unless i have ALOT of grinding to do. knock on wood, never had one of these blow up on me, but have had PLENTY of the dremel reinforced disks do it. those lil bastards hurt when they hit, this i fear might have caused a potentially fatal injury. he is using a cheap shield there, im sure even a plastic shield would have done better.

hope no one got hurt.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Is now a good time to bring to your attention Harbour Freight's 10-pack of cutoff wheels for $5.99 sale?

OK, i've never had one fail, and i've burned thru a lot of them over the last year, but my dad just had one blow up on him today!!! He's a novice with a grinder, and was just etching some lines in a flat piece to make clean bends.

In the picture, I have to wonder if the guard had been removed from the grinder.
    Brian

brian,

yeah thats what i was wondering too. how can the disc fly past the guard, not be deflected, etc?

steve: could you find out more on the how?
    bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast