Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exploding cut off wheels

Re: Exploding cut off wheels

None of my grinders have guards - although mine are all of the 4-5" variety.

The one above looks to be a 7" or 9".
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

I have a feeling this is one of those stories that made it's way through various email inboxes in safety dept around the world because the "lesson learned" was to make sure the person is wearing proper face shield rated to handle such things. In this case, the rating was an Australian rating. So, no, I can't find out anything more about this.

I doubt that anybody who uses grinders everyday, actually keeps the guards on.

Cebby's right, the wheel isn't your normal hobbyist 4.5" grinder.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

My buddy sent me the same picture, it's from his work. It's a refinery here in the north bay area and the guy was OK. It's a clear lens and the lens area has a photochopped block in it. The picture has been on pirate. I use the 3" cutoff wheels from HF and am as careful with them as I am with any other brand wheel. Use gloves and a mask.

Wow! I have used cut off wheels on angle grinders quite a bit and never had anything like that happen. I only wear my regular glasses also. I too never use a guard on the grinder. Took it off the day I bought it. Haha. Most I have ever had happen was just small pieces (small chunks) taken off the edge of the blade while in a cut. But when that happens I immediately change the blade. The blades are only like a buck fifty each so f**k it right?
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

damn, thats crazy, i barely use glasses when i cut/grind (bad idea, i know....) maybe i should rethink that approact and start to wear some armor before. i mean, ive had little pieces come off and ive gotten myself a few times, but that would just suck to have one of those come flying at your face/neck region.
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

I'm very careful about wearing safety or sunglasses glasses when I do anything. This includes everything from changing oil to trimming trees to drilling holes to hammering. It would absolutely suck to be blind.

The key is to use glasses that aren't scratched at all. One little scratch and they become annoying and then you tend not to use them. I'm very protective of my safety eyewear and always keep them in at least a ziplock bag to keep the dust off and keep them from getting scratched.

For grinding and chopsaw work, I'll use this face shield

http://www.uvex.us/products/products_premium.asp?id=11

They say that the majority of people in industry who come in for emergency eye care, were wearing safety glasses, but the object got around the edges. So for higher risk jobs where I can feel the sparks hitting my face, I'll use goggles like this.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/gb1810st.html

-------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I have a nice scar across my stomach from a broken 7" cutting wheel. After slicing me it went across the room and lodged into the drywall. I was wearing a face mask and gauntlet style gloves and was just thinking about putting on the thick leather welding jacket when it happened. Felt like getting hit with a sledge hammer. I went to the hospital and there was nothing they could do as the high speed cauterized as it went through the skin. Made a nice groove.

I think it was a post TC put up, after seeing the gouge in his face from kickback I started wearing the Face shield over my glasses. In the beginning I also broke a lot of cutoff wheels from lack of experience. There have been many, many times when I pick up the grinder ready to cut only to stop, think about it, mutter some irritated explicative, and put it back down to get the face shield. If I could see a real benefit to not wearing the shield I'd probably consider it but the only thing I can surmise is additional risk and discomfort from the sparks by not wearing it. I also keep the guard on the grinder unless I need to take it off to get the work done. I'm glad to see this post. It's always tempting to leave the mask off just because it's a pain to put it on and work with it at times. Since I can't replace my face and it's an ugly mug at that, I'm thinking a long scar on it might just be the breaking point of causing screams when I walk in the local promenade. lol
    2001 4Runner SR5 - 1.5&quot; 4Crwaler BL | Toytec Coilovers TT-AFCS-550 | <br />OME 891s | Bilstein 4R96-BIL | Armorology Bull Bar | Warn M8000 | Engle 14 quart Freezer/Warmer&nbsp; MHFD-015E-D | Cobra 18WXSTII&nbsp; | Thule basket | Yokohama Geolander MT+ 305/70R16 | Low profile cargo | rear seat panel | Laptop mount | Globalsat BU-353 GPS |&nbsp; NGEO Topo | Delorme Topo.

Ive broken them before but its all user error. Let the disc cut and dont force it is the key, forcing it causes it to smash apart. I had a 15" metal chopsaw cut off break apart and it flew so far we didnt find the busted off piece, but that was b/c of the way I had secured the metal in there.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Let the disc cut and dont force it is the key, forcing it causes it to smash apart.
    words of wisdom. This goes for any power tool you use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast