Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exploding cut off wheels

Re: Exploding cut off wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5
    words of wisdom. This goes for any power tool you use.
    Thats basically the cause, you force that disc thats moving at 10k RPM it will shatter..
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

It's also the size of the disk because the outside of a 4.5" disk is moving a heck of alot slower than the outer edge on a 7" or 9" disk. So combine this with someone applying leverage to the disk (ie improper use) and you're asking for disaster if you aren't well protected.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I too have no gaurd on my grinder, and I wear gloves and safety goggles if I have a lot of grinding to do, if not, its just the safety goggles. I use the standard 4"-5" grinding/cutoff wheels. I am careful no matter what brand wheels I use, and its usually the cheapies, unless I have a lot of work to do, then I spring for something a little better.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Sorry to revive an old thread guys, but I just figured I would let you all know a little bit of my history. This EXACT thing is how I got my username/CB handle. I have a '72 Bronco and flopped it. I was using a 4" cutoff wheel to section some of the crumpled body around the wheelwell on the rear of the Bronco, so I could weld in a new lower fender. I had on safety glasses and gloves, and the next thing I knew, I had the wind knocked out of me, and it felt like I couldn't breathe. I bent over to catch my breath, with a hand clutching my neck. Honestly it happened so fast that I didn't even feel it cut, it was more like I got punched. I looked down and where the grinding disk should have been and put 2&2 together. My drop light was shattered. It was only then that I asked myself "Huh... I wonder if I am bleeding." Lo and behold, I already had a T-shirt soaked in blood from my neck to my shirt tail in the same pattern you would find on a baseball player that has slid into base on his stomach.

For those of you that are medically inclined, the cutoff wheel cut all the way thru my sternocleidomastoid muscle (muscle responsible for turning your head, attached at the collarbone and sternum up to the skull, and I nicked the Jugular vein. Being as I was all alone, the phone call I made for help was hoarse, which was less than assuring. Fortunately, I was in the E.R. in 20 minutes, and I am fortunate in that I only nicked the vein, and pressure stopped the bleeding. All I ended up with was about 20 stitches and some discomfort, and I am 100% now.

Safety is vital when using cutoff wheels, and I feel this bares repeating. I would recommend to anyone that you "pop your collar" on your welding jacket and cover as much of your head and neck as possible whenever using a cutoff wheel or grinder. As for me, I am a little gun-shy around anything spinning faster than a ceiling fan , but I didn't wait to get "back on the horse". I just wear a welding jacket, thick welding hood, and get as much between me and the cutoff wheel as possible.

Side note: a family friend (surgeon) told me he was going to get me a kevlar turtleneck for christmas....

Thanks for taking the time to post up and another thank you for knowing how to use the search feature. Your personal experience is a great one to share. There are always new people getting familiar with new tools and you taking the time probably just saved someone from a trip to the hospital. I'm glad you reminded me. Sometimes I hesitate and sigh as I put the angle grinder back down and reach for the face shield. revisiting this puts things back in perspective.
    2001 4Runner SR5 - 1.5&quot; 4Crwaler BL | Toytec Coilovers TT-AFCS-550 | <br />OME 891s | Bilstein 4R96-BIL | Armorology Bull Bar | Warn M8000 | Engle 14 quart Freezer/Warmer&nbsp; MHFD-015E-D | Cobra 18WXSTII&nbsp; | Thule basket | Yokohama Geolander MT+ 305/70R16 | Low profile cargo | rear seat panel | Laptop mount | Globalsat BU-353 GPS |&nbsp; NGEO Topo | Delorme Topo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123