Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cheap driving lights

Re: cheap driving lights

Sweet!!!!
    My signature

I just got my harbor freight sale flyer the other day. I saw those lights for like 7.99. Think I might get a couple for switchable reverse lamps.
    One thing, do they wiggle on their mounts at all? I had a pair of HF "off road" lights on my bumper for a while and the would vibrate up and down alot. It kinda drove me crazy.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

Wow, those are some throwers. Good luck on getting that side up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankota
    I just got my harbor freight sale flyer the other day. I saw those lights for like 7.99. Think I might get a couple for switchable reverse lamps.
    That'd be some sweet revenge on tailgaters and dorks that can't flip their high beams off when they're behind you . . .

One thing, do they wiggle on their mounts at all? I had a pair of HF "off road" lights on my bumper for a while and the would vibrate up and down alot. It kinda drove me crazy.
    As long as the mount itself is solid, you should have no problems - the rubber itself is decently thick and inflexible where the metal is riveted on. I didn't drive with them on at night yet, but I did during the day (on a rough back road) and they looked pretty steady (even in direct sunlight I could see where the beam was hitting the ground). I'll let you know after I do some extended night driving (in a day or two).
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I had them on for a good 15 minute stretch tonight, no wiggle or bounce at all - I think it all comes down to rigid mounting (these weight practically nothing anyway). One other thing, these definately have a tight beam spread. I may get a third one to point straight ahead and aim the other two a bit more to the outside

Well thats good to hear.
    Being aircraft lights I'm sure their designed with a really tight beam as you said. But that can be nice for long range lighting. Thats what you need if your driving at speed.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

*update*

I've had them on for a few months (< 10 hours use) and have them wired to come on with the high beams (headlights need some work), the tight beam pattern is great for long distance while what little light the headlights put out is good for side filler up close. I don't even want to drive backroads now without these on, it's a world of difference. I would probably compare them to the 6" 100W Hella "KC daylighter look-alikes" I had on my last truck.

No problems with the housings even though the lights do get toasty hot (you can feel the heat from the beams just by standing 5 feet in front of them, even in sub-freezing weather) - longest I've had them on for at one time was ~1 hour with no problem - very steady beams while driving too.

on a side note, I haven't been hassled by the PA cops either, partially, I think, because they're not mounted on the bumper and don't look as bright as they are.

*update*

8 months and going strong, I like these better than the 100W Hellas I had on my last Toyota (stealthier for sure) . . . no issues with the rubber housing, no issues with law enforcement or state inspection. The longest I had them on at any one stretch was ~1 hour, but they get to temp in a few minutes so I imagine longer periods wouldn't have any adverse effects. Beam pattern is stable at speed over washboard, but that's really a function of secure/stable mounting as the housing itself is lightweight.

Beam is would you say quite narrow?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

they are tight and designed for distance, the high beams just fill in the sides a bit. I have them aimed slightly to the sides and feel confident taking corn field lined back roads at ungodly speeds on a moonless night

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast