Thread: Info on Colorado Skiing

Info on Colorado Skiing

Hey Everyone,

It has been some time since I posted, but I’ve continued to lurk as usual.
    My folks recently moved to Denver, Colorado from Northern Virginia and I plan on spending some time there this winter - about a month from mid December - mid January.

I am very interested in finding some nice backcountry or just some local advice on the best mountains for skiing. I consider myself an advanced skier with previous back country experience, however, never in Colorado.

If someone could recommend a blog or information guide to me that is not geared toward the tourists I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Info on Colorado Skiing

Make friends with those who have snowmobiles. Its that simple. Haha. Really though, you will have the best time if you can find some internet friends with sleds. I have a friend in FTC and he has 3 sleds. Its always good times making a trip out there for some sled action and backcountry snowboarding.
    Any of you like Guns? Hit me up for great prices! www.gunsupfirearms.com

Where do you have experience backcountry skiing? Do you tele?

Also, how proficient are you with avalanche beacons and recovery equipment? I've seen way too many people get in over their heads around here that simply weren't trained or equipped to properly and safely nogotiate the back country.

Though I know that they'll do it, anyway; I hate seeing people I know risking it all for folks that should be up for Darwin awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey
    Where do you have experience backcountry skiing? Do you tele?
    I have never ventured into tele, but grew up skiing the Swiss Alps and Utah Rockies (Park City and outside of that area)

Quote Originally Posted by breknraj
    Also, how proficient are you with avalanche beacons and recovery equipment? I've seen way too many people get in over their heads around here that simply weren't trained or equipped to properly and safely nogotiate the back country.

Though I know that they'll do it, anyway; I hate seeing people I know risking it all for folks that should be up for Darwin awards.
    This is precisely the reason I want to get some good info on it. I do not have much experience with the equipment, but i'm still young and I figure you gotta start somewhere - since I got a place to crash in Colorado now, I figure this season might be a good start.

i would suggest crested butte or steamboat. both are know for open secluded runs. crested butte more so. but pretty much anywhere you'll be able to find a little back county action whether it be a back bowl or hitchen a ride somewhere.

bobby
    96 4Runner, 4in OME/LC lift (883&#039;s w/ top plate spacer, Land Cruiser&#039;s 8 coil) 2in Body Lift 315/75/16&#039;s. rear e-locker&nbsp; <br />I UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE JEEP THING THATS WHY I HAVE A TOYOTA!!

Telemark
    Beacon
    Probe
    Shovel
    Some rope
    Flasher
    A buddy with the same stuff

Backcountry

Here's a good place to read up:
    http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=2

Im not a Skier myself, but I know that alot of the guys on www.colorado4x4.org are, so ya might want to check with them.
    Let us know when your here, maybe we could get a quick snow run in, or a dinner
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Thanks for the info!

The links and locations are really what I was looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    Im not a Skier myself, but I know that alot of the guys on www.colorado4x4.org are, so ya might want to check with them.
    Let us know when your here, maybe we could get a quick snow run in, or a dinner
    I would love to do a snow run although, im not the same guy I used to be - I had to get rid of the Runner and move on to an Xterra. I still lurk/post here because I like it better, and I know in the future I will get back to my toyota roots!
    Im coming on the 18th of December and leaving around that time in January.