Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CB/Ham radio

Re: CB/Ham radio

My group of friends mostly use a 2m simplex frequency when we're out on trips.

However, there are also a lot of 70cm repeaters out there, and we nerds like to have options.

--- Gary

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    Transmission breakdown:

BandsLower Frequency Upper Frequency
    12 meters24.890 MHz24.990 MHz
    Citizens Band (CB radio)26.965 MHz27.405 MHz
    10 meters28.000 MHz29.7000 MHz
    6 meters50.0 MHz56.0 MHz
    2 meters144.0 MHz148.0 MHz
    70 centimeters420.0 MHz450.0 MHz

I included both the 12 meters and 10 meters to show you where the CB (citizens band) falls in place.
    The freq counter on my Cherokee CM-10 Plus goes from 23.815 MHz -> 30.555 MHz (27.185 is CB Ch 19). I bought it as an "export radio" already peaked and tuned to a clean 10W. The CM-10 (non-plus) only has the regular CB frequencies available from factory, but a quick google shows it is possible to get the full range with just a bit of solder work (I also found the CM-10 Plus on ebay)

Nice radio keith, Others are an RCI 2950, superstar 2950, and most other imports can be modified. The problem is that he will still have to have two radios if he wants cb & 2m. My choice was the Superstar 2950 and an external Freq counter, and a Texas Star 1000w variable amp.

I actually want anotherone of these radios , I have one but the volume controle went bac and due to the configuration , no one wants to fix it , I even satd that I would accept a resister being solidered in place for a 70% fixed volune and still the CB shops dont want to touch it . I lived the crisp clear Xmit and the digital display as well as the compact size and duel chanel watch and scan . I have found no other that compairs .If any one knows where I can get one or a compairable one you can contact me at roverpilot at gmail dot com

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    Transmission breakdown:

BandsLower Frequency Upper Frequency
    12 meters24.890 MHz24.990 MHz
    Citizens Band (CB radio)26.965 MHz27.405 MHz
    10 meters28.000 MHz29.7000 MHz
    6 meters50.0 MHz56.0 MHz
    2 meters144.0 MHz148.0 MHz
    70 centimeters420.0 MHz450.0 MHz

I included both the 12 meters and 10 meters to show you where the CB (citizens band) falls in place.
    The freq counter on my Cherokee CM-10 Plus goes from 23.815 MHz -> 30.555 MHz (27.185 is CB Ch 19). I bought it as an "export radio" already peaked and tuned to a clean 10W. The CM-10 (non-plus) only has the regular CB frequencies available from factory, but a quick google shows it is possible to get the full range with just a bit of solder work (I also found the CM-10 Plus on ebay)

Quote Originally Posted by Roverpilot
    I actually want anotherone of these radios , I have one but the volume controle went bac and due to the configuration , no one wants to fix it , I even satd that I would accept a resister being solidered in place for a 70% fixed volune and still the CB shops dont want to touch it . I lived the crisp clear Xmit and the digital display as well as the compact size and duel chanel watch and scan . I have found no other that compairs .If any one knows where I can get one or a compairable one you can contact me at roverpilot at gmail dot com
    CB shops are more concerned with selling you new equipment, not repairing what you already have.

You can look around you for a radio or electronics repair shop, or ask one of the high end car audio shops for advice on who could do teh repair (not necessarily a chain store). Also try a google search for "HAM radio repair" - it'll likely have to be mailed out, so call them ahead of time and explain what you have and what's wrong. You might also try HAM Radio Outlet - I think they also do repairs
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

i just got a magnum 257 10 meter radio. it is an export radio that can be easily set to use the cb range as well. ill add to this post in that there is about no reason to own a 10 meter radio lol. there is no repeters that ive found and obviously no one is using it offroad. there is very little traffic on USB or LSB either. the only thing i found useful is the small size and the good tx/rx

Digging up an older topic but Troyboy162, why did you go 10m? Is it just because of the small size? If I understand somethings, you can't communicate with folks on 2m. Right? If there are no repeaters where you go do you even use it?

Just doing a little research about radios and frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Digging up an older topic but Troyboy162, why did you go 10m? Is it just because of the small size? If I understand somethings, you can't communicate with folks on 2m. Right? If there are no repeaters where you go do you even use it?

Just doing a little research about radios and frequencies.
    i went with that radio since i found one cheap and since it can do the cb band as well. yup it cant do crap really lol. no 2m stuff and no repeaters that i can find. in all the scanning ive done its never picked up anyone on 10m so id say its a dead band for now. its small, looks modern and works in the CB range...in my case it was cheaper then a nice cobra or something.

10 and 12 meter are dead bands - they'll open up a bit on the next solar cycle (cycle 24), but that's not for a few years yet

here's some light reading on it
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

i went with that radio since i found one cheap and since it can do the cb band as well. yup it cant do crap really lol. no 2m stuff and no repeaters that i can find. in all the scanning ive done its never picked up anyone on 10m so id say its a dead band for now. its small, looks modern and works in the CB range...in my case it was cheaper then a nice cobra or something.
    Gotcha.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123