Thread: What length shocks?

What length shocks?

So I am in need of new longer shock in the rear... I have the longer LC coils and give me about 4.5in of lift. and my OME N86 Shocks are almost fully extended just sitting flat so it is really limiting my down travel (i'm not sure of the length of these shocks (anyone know)). i will be messing with the bump stops so i dont bottom out the new shocks i just want more down travel... so any suggestions on a new length/brand of shock would be great.

thanks guys,

here is a pic of how the sit on flat ground..

[img width=800 height=600]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/thisoneguy2020/DSC00523.jpg[/img]
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/thisoneguy2020/DSC00524.jpg[/img]
    96 4Runner, 4in OME/LC lift (883&#039;s w/ top plate spacer, Land Cruiser&#039;s 8 coil) 2in Body Lift 315/75/16&#039;s. rear e-locker&nbsp; <br />I UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE JEEP THING THATS WHY I HAVE A TOYOTA!!

Re: What length shocks?

bump...
    96 4Runner, 4in OME/LC lift (883&#039;s w/ top plate spacer, Land Cruiser&#039;s 8 coil) 2in Body Lift 315/75/16&#039;s. rear e-locker&nbsp; <br />I UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE JEEP THING THATS WHY I HAVE A TOYOTA!!

I don't know about possible replacements (still on stock suspension), but i know i do need some N86 shocks soon...
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

lol well you can pick up my used ones when i do upgrade.

I'm guessing longer shocks would give you more down travel, but for every inch you gain you would also have to extend the bump stop an equal amount (limiting up travel)

the real fix to gain more travel would be to use longer shocks with the upper mount relocated higher on the frame (or new lower mounts hanging down further). that would allow you the same up travel with more down . . . . but my logic might be off a bit . . .
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I would say relocate as well, but the factory land cruiser shocks are longer than the OME. You could always buy some OME land cruiser shocks that are designed for a lift.
    96 4Runner SR5 B&amp;M trans cooler, H.I.D conversion

that is true but i need to deal with my bump stops anyway cause i dont have sway bars front or rear and when my rear is flexed my tires rub inside the wheel well on the gas hose plastic cover and at the top. so i need to limit my up travel anyway. and with the runners the only way to make taller mounts is to go into the cab with them and i dont trust myself with that. lol but i donno maybe i'll get the longer shock and still be happier with the set up i have now. we'll see.

bobby

any other thoughts. people with the longer lc coils any thoughts. i know 20005spd has them...

i have lc coils in the rear and i have ome shocks in the rear, they are 1'' longer than stock. check out sonoran steel i think the shocks the use are 3'' longer.
    trd supercharger rear elocker 4.30 gears

Hey Bobby, i've got ProComp's gas and they're what ToyTec specs for the FJ. No real wheeling experience with them, but you know i've got the 8wind LC coils in the rear. If you want you could come take a look at them.
    09 FJ 6spd manual<br />01 Tonka-oma TRD <br />Audi RS2 CQ clone<br />98 Audi A4 turbo quattro avant