Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Off road HID lights, worth the hype?

Off road HID lights, worth the hype?

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has gone looking at off road lights and drooled at the idea of getting a set of HID off road lights such as the Hella's or the Lightforce HID lights.

However, I have never seen or read any review on them that really summed up, are they worth it? I have not seen any pictures either.

$600 PER light is a lot of cash to throw down for lights, especially when you can get TWO halogen lights for half that and get a damn good set as well.

I do understand the idea that HID's are 35 watts vs halogen which can be upwards of 100 watts. However, I have really never heard any one say, "HID IS worth it"

So, I ask, have any of you bought, read reviews, seen pictures, or seen them in real life and can give me a real answer as to whether HID's are worth it or not?
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Re: Off road HID lights, worth the hype?

I have seen the HID Lightforces, they are super bright and BLING-tastic. They were on a go fast diesel, I want to say 4 of them, not 6. It was like driving during the day. Long throw, wide beam and intense.

I have also seen a lot of the Lightforce 240's. They are HUGE, not as spendy and really thrown down power. I ran out of time and thought money was better spent elsewhere, otherwise I would have at least two on the truck.

What are you lookingo to do, how much do you value BLING!

The other factor is breaking and stealing. We have tons of flying rocks around here, the lights take a beating. I would have a hard time putting that much light on something that sees road time because of a fear of breakage.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Lightforces are built pretty well. They're not indestructable obviously, but I don't think breakage would be a factor in ruling out HIDs if I were considering them. At least in my experience, my 240s have held up nicely. Stealing...aye, something to consider alright.

I'm curious about the HIDs as well, but like Mr. Cheese has said, the 240s are nice, and a good bang-for-the-buck.

Well, that's about what I was thinking. Bright yes, but worth it, most likely not. Especially when factoring it the theft factor and the breakage factor.

Thanks guys!
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

I would rock them if it was someone else's dime.

For my money, it is 240's all the way.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    I would rock them if it was someone else's dime.

For my money, it is 240's all the way.
    True, if it were someone else's money.

Since it will not be however, come time, I think that the 240's will suffice.

I've got the 240 XGT's and love em. Between having a pair of the 240 XGT's and the 170's make for one great time in the dark
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    I've got the 240 XGT's and love em. Between having a pair of the 240 XGT's and the 170's make for one great time in the dark
    Are the 240's significantly brighter than the 170's? I will be looking into lights in the not too distant future, but I felt like the 170's were a little bit more manageable size... and since they use the same bulbs I figured they were *approximately* the same.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    Are the 240's significantly brighter than the 170's? I will be looking into lights in the not too distant future, but I felt like the 170's were a little bit more manageable size... and since they use the same bulbs I figured they were *approximately* the same.

http://www.lightforce.net.au/images/DRIVINGLIGHT.pdf

i have the 240s, had the 170s. as impressive as the 170s are, the 240s are even brighter. i'm glad i upgraded. as far as size, you can see how they relate to a 3rd gen in pictures of my truck, or a 4th on the Good Times truck.

I have the 240's as well and love them. They are big, but they are very light (and strong!). I've seen the HID's and they are almost ludicrously bright, but IMHO, not worth the money.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast