Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Off road HID lights, worth the hype?

Re: Off road HID lights, worth the hype?

As for the Hella 4000's HID or not, I have two pairs, halegon, one driving and one pencil, and all I can say is wow!!! They throw out the light and keep the beam pattern, and at only 250.00 or so for the pair they are well worth it. As for the HID's, I have seen them mounted onto an H1 out in Death Valley, and they are well worth the money if you have it to spend on just lights.
    88 Yota Pick-Up, Custom everything!!!

anyone here done the roundeyes or h4 headlight conversion??
    Low down and durrrrrrty rock-stacking web wheeler

Expeditions West raves about their HID's See their site for their recent Alaska expedition.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Quote Originally Posted by DirToyBoy
    anyone here done the roundeyes or h4 headlight conversion??
    My buddy has done this to his yota with the Hella headlamps and bulbs. In both of our opinion it was not worth it.
    88 Yota Pick-Up, Custom everything!!!

for $600 i could buy about 10 pairs of kcs..... im sure that many lights would be mroe than enough

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74
    for $600 i could buy about 10 pairs of kcs..... im sure that many lights would be mroe than enough
    However, 10 pairs of KC's at 100 watts each is 2000 watts which, at 12 volts, is about 166 amps. Hope you got a few alternators on your engine!!!

The beauty of HID is the low consumption and the high light output. A 35 watt HID is brighter than a 100 watt halogen light, so I've read.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

And for the price of one Ferrarai I could buy 25 Pintos. If I drove them all 55 MPH at once it would be the same as driving the Ferrarai 345 MPH, right?
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

OK for b[quote=oly884 ]
    Well, that's about what I was thinking. Bright yes, but worth it, most likely not. Especially when factoring it the theft factor and the breakage factor.

Thanks guys!
    Ok for breakage factor I hit a corolla and only broke the light reflector on one of my 240's They are all plastic and replacement parts are cheap. My only downside on HID's is that you cant use them on the road, as far as I know they don't like to be turned on/off/on/off/on. I use my LightForce 240's as aux. high beams ans since the bulbs are cheap too no biggie. Now if you were offroad only then I would say go for the HID's but for me and cost is an option the regular non HID are the best choice.

Aaron
    I can, because I don&#039;t know that I can&#039;t.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74
    It doesn't really matter how many 100W KC's you get, they can't throw light as far as a set of HID's. But, the argument is fairly valid in that you could get many sets of lights to point in all directions if you wanted.

Still, if you need to see as far in front of you as is absolutely possible, HID's are the grand champions.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

I think you mean no matter how many kc's you have you cant throw them as far as lightforces period. I have used many, many, lights and have found none to be as bright as Lightforce. I cant outrun the light and it actually goes further than I can even see!

Aaron
    I can, because I don&#039;t know that I can&#039;t.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast