View Poll Results: Where should I put my 7.5" Aussie Locker?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4runner

2 13.33%
  • Van

6 40.00%
  • ( . Y . )

7 46.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aussie locker in the 4runner or the Van?

Aussie locker in the 4runner or the Van?

I'm in the middle of regearing and locking my 4runner. The 5.29 elocker retrofit is almost complete. I have a 5.29 front diff that I bought almost 3 years ago that will be going in the front.

I picked up an aussie locker for a really good deal. So, do I install it in the front of the 4runner and be double locked or do I save it and install it in the rear of the van?

If I put it in the 4runner, I'll save the stuff I remove so that I can take it out if I can't handle the steering issues. I'm interested to try it, especially since it is really easy for my to grab 2hi even from 4lo on the fly. I obviously know that a selectable in the front is the best way to go.

The van would be cool as well because, well it would just be bitchin' to have it locked.

Right now, I'm leaning towards installing it in the 4runner and if I don't like it, removeing it and putting it in the van.

What does UY have to say?

Don't tell me to put an ARB in the 4runner, I barely have enough $$ for the gear oil I need. Also, don't be surprised if I do the exact opposite of what you say.
    My signature

Re: Aussie locker in the 4runner or the Van?

sorry, i got distracted by boobies.

put it in the 4runner, since its a trail rig now. you really dont need a locker in the van...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I don't see the van hitting obstacles that require a rear locker. I say throw in in the 4runner.

So I take it the rear end of the van is a 7.5" diff? If you're on a budget you could do what keith did, find a supra 7.5" LSD and throw it in the rear end of the van.

I say lock the one that is more hardcore. So I guess I mean lock the Van

Quote Originally Posted by strykersd
    I don't see the van hitting obstacles that require a rear locker. I say throw in in the 4runner.

So I take it the rear end of the van is a 7.5" diff? If you're on a budget you could do what keith did, find a supra 7.5" LSD and throw it in the rear end of the van.
    The van's already been on a trail where a rear locker would have been helpful and I'm sure it would make it even better and more fun out at the dunes. Which is why it is a dilemma. The Supra LSD has definately been a thought of mine since I got the van. I think I can even get one for the front, but it's a different size and harder to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy
    I say lock the one that is more hardcore. So I guess I mean lock the Van
    It would make it so that all my toys had a rear locker.
    My signature

I am going to be different and say go with the van...
    You still haven't even put your sliders one yet have you....?

The van has one slider

door that is.
    My signature

teh only way i will change my mind is if I see sliders on that 4Runner of yours, there collecting dust :P

If you put two lockers in the truck, you will start breaking things and having the chance to get lots of dents. You will also be more prone to thinking an axle swap is a good idea.

If you try it in the truck and swap to the van, at least someone here will get to hear about the realities of front auto lockers on trucks that get miles on them.

Good luck.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

^^So, would that be one more vote for the van then?

Yeah, the steering issue scares me a little, and I'm wondering how it will affect it in the dunes. Not too worried about the dents as I want the lockers in order to do the harder trails.

Like you said, if I do put it in the 4runner, I plan on keeping track of how it does and keep a running review on it for others to be able to look up.
    My signature

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast