Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asus EEE-PC - a tough little full featured lappy 4 the road.

Re: Asus EEE-PC - a tough little full featured lappy 4 the road.

Why would I get a Linux box instead of a WinXP box for either (aside from the obvious larger HDD available on the Linux Box):

A: Home Use (for use with wireless kbd/mouse displaying on flatscreen TV for surfing the web primarily)
    B: In car for CarPC (Mainly large touchscreen GPS duties)

(I've used OpenOffice and FF on a Linux box and was impressed with the speed, so I'm not opposed to it - what about compatibility with the GPS and mapping programs?)
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby
    Why would I get a Linux box instead of a WinXP box for either (aside from the obvious larger HDD available on the Linux Box):

A: Home Use (for use with wireless kbd/mouse displaying on flatscreen TV for surfing the web primarily)
    B: In car for CarPC (Mainly large touchscreen GPS duties)

(I've used OpenOffice and FF on a Linux box and was impressed with the speed, so I'm not opposed to it - what about compatibility with the GPS and mapping programs?)
    i really tryed hard to keep linux on mine but i gave up because there wernt any good navigation programs in linux. you can run iguidance 3 in wine but with all the emulation its sure to be slow and choppy. im gonna post pictures tomorrow of my new mounting location in the 4runner.

Question about the ASUS EEE box networking capabilities (and a general info question)

When these computers state gigabit ethernet, will they run on a 10/100 setup or do you have to use a gigibit switch? Same goes for wireless if it says N, will it run on B/G? (It appears the latter is true on the ASUS EEE Box, but not sure on the former)
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

gigabit ethernet = 10/100/1000 (downwards compatible) so you'll be fine w/ your existing 10/100 a/b network or even a b/g or an a/b/g configuration.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I'm trying to convince the wife that we should go with an Asus EEE-PC when we replace our aging hand-me-down laptop. Here's the one I'm looking at http://www.amazon.com/10-Inch-Netboo...4686484&sr=8-8

I really like it's smaller size for in cab GPS use and the sub $400 price tag.

She's concerned about the "unknown" brand name and wants to go with a dell or HP.

Anyone have some good talking points for going with the Asus?

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Well, I know a lot of folks that build PCs like using Asus motherboards. I've got one in my PC, and all the guys at my old job that have home built PCs use Asus motherboards. I would assume the EEE-PC is built with the same quality that goes into the motherboards.

Dell and several other folks make PCs in the same category as the EEE-PC now too.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Dell is crap period, I would never buy anything of thiers. HP is up there with the good stuff.

However having built many a pc in my day and buying storebought as well as working for compusa and myself on the side I can say you should have no issues with asus. The only complaint they ever have is they have really bad customer service, which stinks but you cant get it all sometimes.

I have currently 5 different setups in my house all with asus branded motherboards and another 10-15 or so I built for others with no issues. Its the board of choice by many.

Storebought stuff is just that, big major label brands who generally use thier own boards or ones made for them by asus, msi, gigabyte, etc.

Im getting one of these asus mini laptops when I can afford it, would be great for being on the road.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Asus' bread and butter was designing and mass producing motherboards for many of the manufacturers as well as those for the geeks like the above members I'm also guilty as charged for using their motherboards and they're one of the top notch boards to use on home-built PC's!

Asus started expanding by manufacturing laptops and more recently the netbooks. I would say for the price point you can't go wrong. It's definitely great as a portable mobile lappie for long trips. Big enough to watch DVD's and easy on the wallet.

My best friend has the Dell mini and I would say it's great for it's price too. I haven't had a chance to play with the HP one but I would say if I had to buy one of the three, I'd buy the one with the best bang for its buck. Look into the screen size/resolution, cpu, memory and hd space. I am sort of looking but we'll see. My old powerbook is finally showing its age so I may just have to pony up for a mbp and put a perm hold on the netbooks.

Get me one too
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I know the EEE has had some issues since I got mine, many seem to be related to folks messing around with the original OS, but some seem to be manufacturing flaws. For example mine has an issue with the charging circuit, it can't charge the battery and run at the same time any more. A few others on the eee forum have had the same issue. Asus has been really good with warranty work on these those, usually just sending out a new unit once they have you send yours back in. There were some early issues with noisy fans to IIRC.

What I've seen on the reviews so far the eee seems to rank highest, but I haven't really been keeping up. I actually started a poll on the forum when i got mine that is still going, 5% say they are disapointed with theirs. Kinda long but might be worth scanning thru to see what people don't like & what issues they've had.

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewpoll.php?id=1561

edit: just went and skimmed thru them on newegg, seems like they are all pretty much getting 4 or 5 eggs over there, hp, msi, acer & asus
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...ory=772&page=1
    Brian

For all those that are running an in cab laptop for GPS, what program and antenna do you use so that it is an active GPS and not just a map to look at?
    lifted 02 sport, with thousands waiting to be installed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast