Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chem/Biochem guys

Chem/Biochem guys

I'm trying to work through an issue for work - a high throughput genotyping lab. We are currently testing a new method of DNA extraction using a NaOH based extraction solution. Some of the tissue samples have a small coating of iron-based paint, and there is a question of whether this paint is affecting the downstream PCR reaction at all.

First sets of data seemed to indicate that the paint didn't have any detrimental effect, but now its being called in to question. Is there anything I can try adding to the extraction solution that will bind or chelate the iron but not interact with the DNA in solution? Bentonite maybe?

Re: Chem/Biochem guys

Well, my guess would be that bentonite would pull the DNA out of solution as well as the iron, that stuff is fairly unforgiving when it comes to pulling things out of solution.

I'd say take a look at orthophosphate. From some reading it appears that it's a good way of getting iron out of solution relatively quick.

If not that, take a look at some other iron precipitation reactions.

Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Here's a link talking about orthophosphate's effect on iron:

http://www.epa.gov/ordntrnt/ORD/NRMR...alconf2002.pdf
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

sorry, Chem-E, but I just put beans in a can.

looks like Oly's on the right track to me.
    -andy

Cool, I will check that out, thanks David. I've had success in other extractions using bentonite to pull out proteins and other junk, I just wasn't sure how it work with Fe.

Quote Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
    Add some worchestershire.

I was waiting for an ME to chime in.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
    Add some worchestershire.

Oh, go AutoCAD something...

Is this thread in english??

ChE's > all other engineers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast