Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Vibration at my wits end!!! HELP ME!

Re: Vibration at my wits end!!! HELP ME!

Marc, i just swapped back in my half used hawk pads. the autozone gold or whatever i put in there a year ago are horrible, nearly doubling my stopping distance. completely worthless.

my brembo rotors are holding up well, but my only comparison is the rotors that i had when i got the truck, not sure brand but they looked like an LP in death valley in july.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Sean, I still have the brembos on it when I last did the fronts at least 3 years ago. What had been happening over this time is the front calipers kept locking up on me due to the back getting worse and worse. Specifically the same side the axle seal refused to stop leaking I replaced 4x (pepboys warranty is great lol). The rotors are warped now for sure. Id turnt hem but I dont think much would be left.

Ill probably buy the hawk pads and some brembos again, it worked good in the past. Argh tho, your brake setup is 100x easier than mine tho lol. Gotta yank my hubs and bearings out.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

drive flanges make it very nice. between the hawk pads and the front swaybar being reattached, truck handles hard stops much much better
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I had the front swaybar off for awhile too, it does help greatly.

Curse you and your drive flanges tho!

Well a small victory:

I had figured just like everything else rubber on this truck it might be prudent to replace the shackle and leaf spring bushings. I got new shackles and bushings online and upon trying to replace the front eye of the leaf springs, found that nope I didnt get the right ones and everywhere I checked (despite what they said online) DEALER only part @13/ea. Whatever I bought them, put everything on and wouldnt you know it rides 10x nice.

Today I slapped on my mickey thompson wheels and dueler revos, went to the firestone I get a discount at for an alignment. Bingo, problem almost 100% cured. I am sure my frame is slightly out of whack causing an issue but not enough to bother. The truck rides great, still a very small vibration from what Im guessing is the frame being out or worn out a-arm bushings (the only damn ones I didnt replace!) but its livable.

Goes to show you, stupid rubber stuff can wear out after 230k lol. Also its a good idea to use poly bushings if possible, everything but the ones I had to get from the dealer are poly.

Well The vibration still exists. Thinking it was the u joints I greased the hell out of them and wouldnt you know its pretty dang smooth.Leads me to believe one or more is bad. Gonna ride around a bit more tomorrow and see for sure however.

Guessing that the u joints are original b/c I dont see any clips on them at all (factory is press fit I think) so Im going to replace them. It appears every single one is the same according to rock auto, moog ones are like $20/ea and I need 5. 1@the front axle, 1@ the trans, 2@the double cardan joint and 1@ the rear axle. Thems alot of u joints lol...

FWIW if you manage to find factory style u-joints with the zerk on the inside of the cross let me know b/c nobody can get them anymore. I absolutely hate having a fitting sitting in the breeze waiting to catch on something and my next step will be to modify a driveshaft to accept the newer ones. WPAC was outed last attempt for the pieces.
    **PIC IS THE 4CYL MODEL, CAN'T USE THEM B/C NOT TURBO OR 6CYL COMPATIBLE.**

All of the pictures I find of moog part #285 (what I need) looks like the zerk is on the very side of the joint near the cups. For me this is a non issue b/c I dont really offroad anymore-I find a joint that is like the yota one Ill let you know.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213