Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Vibration at my wits end!!! HELP ME!

Re: Vibration at my wits end!!! HELP ME!

Quote Originally Posted by CJM

If the truck is in 2wd, and the hubs are unlocked does the front shaft still spin?
    if the hubs are unlocked and your t-case is in 2wd the front shaft, diff, and CVs should not be spinning at all. that is all assuming truly manual hubs with no ADD business going on
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

I messed up my last post, I had the speeds backwards. It's correct now.

Based on your description, I think it's somewhere from your front diff to the transmission.
    You say the vibe starts up when you start moving and I'm assuming this is a high frequency vibration. Since the driveshaft spins about 5 times faster than the tires/axle, then that tells me a high frequency vibe is not in the tires/axle.

With the manual hubs unlocked and in 2wd, the front drive shaft can spin a little from the friction in the grease and oil in the axle shafts.

Are you sure the transfer case is really disengaging the front driveshaft?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

It's also very possible the front drive shaft may have slung off a balancing weight. May want to try removing the front drive shaft (and leaving the rear out), putting it in drive and see if it still shakes with power going through the transmission and transfer case, but not to the axles.

Don't forget to mark the drive shaft when you take it off. and maybe have that balanced while you're at it
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

He doesn't need to mark the drive shaft unless he separates the splines.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    *This rig's been having this issue(s) for a while, so I dunno at this point.

But, to lighten the mood some..Something's under the seat instead of in the underpant drawer??

Sorry, couldn't resist, but at least I didn't post a reference picture.
    ...for those desperate moments when the usual is insufficient...

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Funny Fuster...

Im waiting to get the bolts/nuts for the rear shaft right now as the originals were hell to remove. Then Im going to pull the front shaft and see how it goes.

Like I said, as soon as you take off the vibe begins and you can watch the x-case shifter wiggle-with the rear shaft on or off. More gas you give the worse it gets-if your easy on the gas you can barely feel it. When it shifts the vibe lessens then the slack gets taken back up in the drivetrain and it goes vibrating again. More rpm, more vibe

What really left if you think about it?
    -Bearings front and 1 rear (the axle shaft I didnt replace)
    -Front shaft, vibe begins up front and its under my seat, front driveshafts there?
    -Or engine/trans? Harmonic balancer someone suggest at 4x4 wire...what is that, where is it?
    -4x4 wire poster suggest a flex plate? WTF is that, I dont think an automatic trans truck has one.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck

...for those desperate moments when the usual is insufficient...

I don't even want to think about what kind of desperate moments you're talking about . . .

Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Back on topic lol..

Just checked the front driveshaft while it was on the truck, its greased up well, has no play and seems to be fine.

My front diff seems to have a small leak where it seals, on the lower part near the pass side, its deff gear oil. How does one even get to it to check the levels, I looked and see no check plug like the rear only a drain plug.

Also, noticeable jump into gear if I go from P to R or P to D. If I go from N to either gear it doesnt do that. Could be related to the fact that the shifter mechanism wears out on these since its a column shift and thus you need to slam it home into park to make sure it latches.

Put the truck into N and just hit the gas..seems to melike the engine has an awful lot of roughness to it and possibly the cause? Its not smooth feeling tbh..i dunno
    As for the front shaft and being engaged or not, truck in any gear and I could turn the shaft by hand with hubs on or off (in 2wd only). It doesnt appear to have any missing weights either or be bent.

Checked the motor mounts as best as possible, while they look old they dont seemt o have movement at all-I pried the hell out of them and nothing.

I am thinking its time I gave up and see if the stealer can fix it, (the whole thing, its really above my head tbh mechanics wise). It maybe expensive (I figure they will rape me for a grand easy...) but my own mechanic cant figure it out and is sick of me, my buddies who are decent mechanics (one even with a shop) is at a loss as to wtf it is and I just cant figure it out. 4x4 wire guys seem to think its possible the harmonic balancer or the flexplate.. I mean the stealer can at least diagnose it for maybe 100-200 bucks, then maybe I can at least start on the right track to fixing it or let them do it..

In all honesty I would sell it and just buy a tundra or newer midsize taco they got now, but no one will buy it the way it is-unless they are incredibly stupid and even then I think they are gonna notice the vibration..

There's a fill plug in the front of the diff. It's hard to see.

When you checked the front drive shaft engagement, was the engine running?

Record a movie of the vibration sound, speedometer, and RPM gauge as you get up to speed and post it.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    There's a fill plug in the front of the diff. It's hard to see.

When you checked the front drive shaft engagement, was the engine running?

Record a movie of the vibration sound, speedometer, and RPM gauge as you get up to speed and post it.
    Engine was running, I also did it when the engine was off. Ill record the movie tommorow..

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast