Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vibration at my wits end!!! HELP ME!

Re: Vibration at my wits end!!! HELP ME!

Back to topic lol..

Videos to come when youtube finishes processing them..

Put the rear driveshaft back on since I got some new bolts-seems a bit smoother b/c of this-I know the old bolts although tight werent in the best shape. Could just be me..

I put the truck on some stands and put it into gear and just revved it up a bit (see videos).In gear, with the rear just going it shakes a bit, if i lock the front in 4wd it shakes incredibly bad.

In N and in the air it has a roughness in the engine imho...

Took off the rear drums, checked both rear shafts, both seem absolutely fine.. Put truck into gear and watched-if they have run out (I dont have a dial indicator) then its news to me, they looked
    straight and true.

Then I took it down the road, it may just be the fact it was warmed up but it didnt vibrate as much as I thought it was doing.

At this point im at a crossroads, axle shaft seems fine, driveshafts F/R seem fine, maybe it is the tires, but why it rolls smoothly when not in gear or on the skinny pedal is beyond me.

I really think the vibration is in the front somewhere, its really felt in the cab of the truck ever since i replaced the axle shaft.. I think im gonna take it to the stealer and see if they will at least diagnose it and if they can we'll take it from there. Like I said a whole bunch of friends who are mechs and my own personal mech is stumped by now.

Any other ideas here? Wheel bearings up front maybe (I did have it apart to change brakes/rotors, all seemed fine)
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Didn't see any vibrations, but I did find the first video incredibly creepy.

Hey, you try holding a cam and driving..lol

I dunno whats really vibrating, i can feel it throughtout the truck. Seats, wheel, floor..etc..

Have you tried taking to a shop and having a mechanic take it for a spin? Wouldn't hurt at this point to get another professional opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey
    Have you tried taking to a shop and having a mechanic take it for a spin? Wouldn't hurt at this point to get another professional opinion.
    3 different shops, one said brakes were locking (partially right b.c rear axleshaft was causing this), 1 had no clue, other one told me to take it to a driveshaft shop, then he replaced all the ball joints, the idler arm, etc.

I been to ever reputable area shop tbh, my own mechanic. My boss is a former mechanic and the shop we always deal with checked it. Like I said im at my witts end, i guess ill call or stop by toyota sometime in the next week and see. I cant sell it like this, except for parts which wont bring to much money.. I just dunno anymore, as YotaFun stated, I been chasing this for a good year now..

I noticed in your first post that the engine was replaced. Did the vibration occur after the heart transplant? Just wondering.

Have you tried putting the truck on stands w/ both driveshafts removed? I'm wondering if it might be something either w/ the engine, tranny or even the transfer case. If you experience zero vibrations then we can begin diagnosing other areas piece by piece.

After this try testing just the rear axle in place by reinstalling the rear driveshaft. Also remove the tires too so you don't have to deal w/ those variables. If everything is fine then lets move to the front.

Remove rear driveshaft and reconnect front driveshaft. Remove the front axles while you're at it so we can just keep the moving parts to a minimum. If everything looks good add front axles and see what happens.

If everything is still fine at that point reinstall the rear driveshaft.

It's gonna be a pita doing this but at least we can figure out where the vibration comes from.

good luck!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

The vibration noise didn't come through as well as I would have hoped. Can YOU hear the vibration in those videos?

The last video in the final few seconds there's a tapping sound. Is that it?
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Engine was replaced before I got the truck, by toyota under a recall-it only has 50k on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    The vibration noise didn't come through as well as I would have hoped. Can YOU hear the vibration in those videos?

The last video in the final few seconds there's a tapping sound. Is that it?
    No, thats me forgetting that without the drums on the rear you can hit the brakes and forgetting to shut the truck off to stop the shafts and thus trying to change gears while it spins..

Some thoughts:
    -Even tho the wheel bearings dont hum or make noise-could they be going bad or be bad?
    -Could the CV axles be bad, even tho no grease is leaking out or torn boots? I did notice when I had it on stands and switched to 4wd it was WAY worse.
    -Harmonic balancer or flexplate was suggest by some others I talked to, no real idea how to check these.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast