Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 235/85R16 Tread Wright Retread Tires with Ultra Grip II

235/85R16 Tread Wright Retread Tires with Ultra Grip II

Winter has arrived and so has my set of retread 235/85R16's with Ultra Grip II from Tread Wright Tires. Tread Wright Tires

[img width=600 height=800]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/Erich_870/PB190034.jpg[/img]
    [I tried to order a set last year but it fell through due to shipping complications on my end.]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/Erich_870/PB190038.jpg[/img]
    The Ultra Grip II consists of crushed walnut shell granules mixed throughout the rubber creating a sort of sharks’ teeth effect to enhance traction. As the rubber wears down and granules fall out, more are exposed.

Here is some info on Ultra Grip II - Ultra Grip II Data Sheet [Last year Tread Wright was selling tires containing Ultra Grip I which contained industrial grade garnets. I assume the price for garnets went too high for use in tires.]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/Erich_870/PB190039.jpg[/img]
    Here is a side by side comparison of both the size and tread of my new and old tires (bald 265/70R16 Bridgestones). The guys at Les Schwab’s were giving me crap about my old tires.

[img width=800 height=600]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/Erich_870/PB190040.jpg[/img]
    Another view

[img width=800 height=600]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/Erich_870/PB220052.jpg[/img]
    The narrow tire is AMAZING on snow. I haven’t put it in 4wheel drive yet this year.

[img width=600 height=800]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/Erich_870/PB210045.jpg[/img]
    Here it is from behind.

[img width=600 height=800]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/Erich_870/PB220053.jpg[/img]
    Here’s another look at the tall and narrow tire.

These tires are going to serve double duty as my full time tires. They are legal to run year round because they aren’t studded and they are already out performing my stock sized studs. I had to carry 200+ lbs of sand all winter to keep enough traction on the rear tires.

So far I'm very pleased with their performance. Once we get a little more snow I plan to run some comparisons between these and my stock studs. They are both on rims so I'm going to set up a little break course and test each of their stopping distances.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Re: 235/85R16 Tread Wright Retread Tires with Ultra Grip II

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    I know I'm not living in Alaska, but to this day I will never trust a retread ever again, I'll happily spend the dough on a new set of T/A K-O's just for the sake of safety.

*Service flatbed/recovery rig w/ less than a week old retread failing w/ a load.
    Anything's possible. I've weighed the pros and cons and due to my driving needs these should work well, baring any catastrophic structural issues. My commute is 3 miles one way and I only have 55 miles of "highway" to drive. Long haul truckers and fleet drivers have been using retreads for decades and as long as you stick with proper tire pressure and maintenance, they are very unlikely to fail.

That's not to say I won't be vigilant to spot warning signs.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

hey these things look great! i just spent a few hours researching treadwright and have placed my own order!

Loving the pizza cutters! Running the same size on my 85, stole them off my 97 before I sold it. Looks like those are load range E like my revo's. comments on the ride quality? That would be my only complaint.
    Brian

Those look great!

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    hey these things look great! i just spent a few hours researching treadwright and have placed my own order!
    Just an FYI, "airing down" treadwrights will void the warranty. Not sure if that's a concern for you or not. They also said though that some 4wd mag tested their tires aired down and they did fine.
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by tulsa_sr5
    Loving the pizza cutters! Running the same size on my 85, stole them off my 97 before I sold it. Looks like those are load range E like my revo's. comments on the ride quality? That would be my only complaint.
    So far I'm fine with the ride quality. Going from bald tires to something with tread accounts for 95% of the difference in feel and sound. The tires still have the whiskers from the manufacturing process so they are a little rougher to drive on, but I fully expect them to settle down in a week or two.

Slo,

I saw that article in 4wd and was happy to see they had no problems. They put more offroad and low pressure miles on their tires than I will this winter.

Erich
    -Erich
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Just an FYI, "airing down" treadwrights will void the warranty. Not sure if that's a concern for you or not. They also said though that some 4wd mag tested their tires aired down and they did fine.
    yea i saw that but then i read a ton of first hand accounts from off road forums from people who air them down weekly. for the price i was able to buy 5 so i can have a full size spare. i also took into account that angry customers are usually the ones who post on the internet about a product. i found zero fist hand accounts of issues with them. there was one second hand story of one separating and the guy got two free replacements.
    ill keep the forum posted but i intend to treat them like brand new M/T-R's on my weekend toy

Subscribing to this thread Erich, make sure to keep us updated with all your info and expereinces!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    Subscribing to this thread Erich, make sure to keep us updated with all your info and expereinces!
    Will do Rocko.

There was a fair amount of black ice on the drive to work today. I didn't notice any problems as I drove in early. When my co-workers arrived, they were talking about all the wrecks and people in the ditch along my route. Could just be a coincidence...

Erich
    -Erich
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

I wish I could get back up there during winter, and meet you for sure this time. then you could let me drive your tires. (probably not, since the most 'snow' I have ever driven in is "THE Blizzard" 3 inches of snow.......)
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast