Thread: IFS Aussie Locker Review

IFS Aussie Locker Review

I installed an Aussie Locker Model# XD-27527 in the front of my '93 4runner. One reason I chose to do this, was so I could give a real life running review on how automatic lockers act in the IFS. My truck is no longer my DD, but it does get driven on the street quite a bit, and many of my wheeling trips are not close by. It is not just a trail rig. I plan on being as straight up about the handling characteristics, and not sugar coating anything just because I have one. Hopefully this will be helpful for others who are researching automatic lockers for their 7.5" IFS.

First off, here is what I'm running.

'93 4runner 3.0 automatic
    5.29 geared 4cyl diff out of a first gen 4runner
    Lucas Heavy Duty 80/90 Gear Oil
    33x12.5x15 tires
    Aisin Manual Hubs
    At this moment: Duralast Idler Arm with Downey Idler Brace and SDORI bronze bushings

I won't go into the install too much other than it was fairly easy and straight forward. Make sure you check your tolerances and write them down. You will need this info should anything go wrong with your locker.

This is going to be a "running" review, so as I come across different terrain, obstacles, weather, etc..., I'll add to the review.

Regular Street Driving (hubs unlocked):
    Obviously no change to anything, driving and handling are normal.

Dirt Roads (mix of hard pack, loose dirt, steep climbs, steep and tight switchbacks):

Hubs locked 2wd- No change in handling or driving, only thing that is noticeable, is everyonce in awhile with the windows down and light throttle, you can hear the locker "ratchet" as it unlocks for a tight turn. It is very faint, only heard everyonce in awhile, and only because I was listening for it.

Hubs locked 4hi and 4lo- My first reaction was, Whoa! I'm not sure if I'm going to like this. The steering was real tight and hard, but as the locker got lubed up, it smoothed out, and wasn't as tight and hard. There is more resistance to turning, but still turns tight as it was doing a good job of unlocking. Even on tight steep uphill switchbacks, with decent throttle in 4LO, I was surprised how it was unlocking. The automatic tranny may be helping me here as it makes for smooth throttle control. One of the biggest things I noticed, was that after a turn, it returns to center instantly if you let go of the wheel. Going slow, it was no big deal, but while driving faster, it could cause problems if you let it snap back to center. If you are going fast enough, it would be like overcorrecting real fast. Just have to be mindful, to not let go and "steer" it back to center. After a few minutes, I had it down although it did "surprise" me from time to time as I slipped back to driving like I used to. By the end of the day though, I had relearned how to steer and it didn't catch me off gaurd anymore. I didn't really notice the sound of it "ratcheting" while in 4wd, I could just tell by the feel in the steering wheel when it was unlocked. I may have heard it a few times while in 4hi, but in 4lo, the engine is revved up to more rpms so I never heard it. All in all, I was happy with how it handled on the National Forest roads. I did not do any fast work with it as I had the whole fam with me, but by the end of the day I definately felt better going faster. My big fear was coming up to a turn at speed and not being able to turn, especially since I was on a ridge road with steep dropoffs on one side and sometimes both sides. To be honest though, on those type of roads, if I wanted to go fast, I would shift on the fly to 2wd anyways.

Sorry, that's all I've gotten to test it so far. Next will probably be the sand at Oceano Dunes and a local trail run. I'm really interested to see how it does in the sand at speed and how it will do on high traction surfaces like granite or Moab like rock.

Feel free to put your input in this thread as I want it to be a useful tool for those researching the auto lockers. I do ask that we keep it related to automatic lockers in IFS. There is plenty of info out there for the auto lockers in rear axles and front solid axles, this is purely for IFS automatic lockers. I would especially like input on the other brands and if a manual transmission makes any difference.
    My signature

Re: IFS Aussie Locker Review

Typical CA coastal mountain trial (tight, steep, rutted, loose hill climbs, with solid rocks thrown in for good measure)
    Hubs locked 4lo: I noticed a huge improvement in how it pulled up the hills. Whereas before, I had to be careful picking my line, I was now able to just point it and go. It seemed to be unlocking well on the uphill turns as I had no problems makeing any of the turns. I did notice that it took a little bit longer for it to unlock while reversing and turning to adjust my line. I was still able to adjust my line, it was just more noticeable in reverse. It was fun to take lines I couldn't before the locker.

Here are a couple pics for a visual of the terrain:

Soft Sand (Oceano Dunes, CA)
    Hubs Locked 2hi: I spend much of the time in 2hi on the dunes and shift to 4hi/4lo as I need them. Steering had no change and shifting to 4hi and 4lo on the fly was smooth.

Hubs Locked 4hi/4lo: I was worried how the locker would react out there as I go out there quite often. I was pleasantly surprised to find no weird steering, in fact, I was convinced that either the locker wasn't even locking at all, the hubs were messed up, or it wasn't going into 4wd, because the steering was just like in 2wd. I actually stopped a couple times to verify that all systems were working (lots of crawling underneath and locking and unlocking hubs ). I wasn't aired down much like I normally am, so it was hard to compair how much it was helping me out there. I did notice it allowed me to get unstuck after burying the rear to the axle while testing my elocker in 2wd. Just shifted to 4lo and pulled myself right out. I'll have to update this section next time I go out, air down, and do more out there.

Not sure when I'm going to get to test it in the snow or on high traction rock trails, hopefully soon. I'd also like to do a Hollister run soon.

My signature

I guess it's time for another update:

I met up with the SD crew for Superstition 11 at Superstition Mountain Open Area. This was my first real good test of not only the front locker but also the rear locker. The mountain has a little of everything, sand, rocks, prerunner type stuff, hill climbs, etc...

Pics of terrain:

So far, I am really liking the aussie locker. Some of the trails were in really tight canyons with tight turns. It did great in the turns, and all the corners I had to back up on, were ones that everyone else couldn't make without backing up. The one thing I did notice though, if I had the rear locker on, it did have more of a tendency to want to push through the turn. It wasn't "binding" but I could definately feel it wanting to push. So for the real tight turns, if I didn't need it, I would turn the rear locker off. I did have it on for the majority of the time, mainly to get used to how it acted. While trying to reverse and turn, I could feel how it was harder to turn, and I was really careful to not go full lock and try to reverse.

In the sand in 4hi it feels slightly more sluggish, mainly I think due to more drivetrain with power to it, but it is nice to have when pulling up hills. The cool thing is hauling along in 4hi with the rear also locked, and throwing it to 2hi. You can really feel how much power is being sucked away by the front drivetrain.

So far, the aussie in IFS is looking like a decent choice for CA wheeling. As it stands, the terrain I have tested it in, is what it will be driven on 90% of the time and I am not dissapointed. I'm hoping to do the Dusy-Ershim trail soon and maybe the Rubicon, so I can get some tests on some granite. Still haven't got to test it out on slick snowy stuff or the high traction sandstone. I think those two things will be where the auto locker in IFS may act funny. I will have to see.

By some point, I hope to have a good list of how it has reacted in different terrains/situations so that others can see what the pros/cons are for their type of driving style/terrain. Feel free to interject your thoughts/experiences/concerns with auto lockers and different terrain, but please for the sake of this thread, keep it to the front auto locker on IFS rigs. I don't mean for this to just be about my locker, I'm just trying to keep it informative for those searching later. So they don't have to search all over everywhere. So please, if you have an auto locker in the front, please share your info, rear locker combonation (if you have a locked rear), experiences, etc.... good and bad.
    My signature

I'll definately post up if I'm going to Hollister. It's just a little too far away for a last minute solo run, so there will definately be prior warning.

My signature

i ran the aussie locker in my truck for about a year and a half. i recently went to 4.30 gears and an elocker in the rear and back to open in the front, wish i had'nt. other than a cv breaking in tight up hill turns my truck powered up hills. probably going to put it back in, i just hate doing diff. work.
    trd supercharger rear elocker 4.30 gears

Let me know if a Hollister run is happening, I am close. My runner won't be on the street till late Feb. or early March though. There is MiniSimps run on April 18-19 at Hollister, this is what I am shooting for. Check MC site for details.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    Cool, I have my rig in the hands of a friend for now anyhow while I'm away until Friday. Just let me know when, try to make it a Fri or Sat thing, so I can haul you all over for some good Halu Ramen if there's time. Sidebar...I notice no mention of what type of lube (dino/syn) you're using and if any additive??**Also before Hollister, if you actually plan on going anywhere aside from the Kiddie's section, please cage your rig first. Hollister claims rigs, plain and simple.
    Sounds like any trip would be for the MiniSimp run (see below). I'm running Lucas Heavy Duty 80/90 Gear Oil. No additives are needed for the aussie. They only had a certain amount of the Mobil 1 synthetic 75w90, so I put that in the rear diff and thought I would try this out in the front. The only other full synthetic stuff they had was the uber expensive stuff. I'll add my diff fluid to the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy
    Let me know if a Hollister run is happening, I am close. My runner won't be on the street till late Feb. or early March though. There is MiniSimps run on April 18-19 at Hollister, this is what I am shooting for. Check MC site for details.
    That one sounds like one I might get to make. I went to his thing two years ago, but was only passing through and there a few hours. Is that his yearly bday run there? I'll check it out at MC.

Quote Originally Posted by 4runfun
    i ran the aussie locker in my truck for about a year and a half. i recently went to 4.30 gears and an elocker in the rear and back to open in the front, wish i had'nt. other than a cv breaking in tight up hill turns my truck powered up hills. probably going to put it back in, i just hate doing diff. work.
    Yeah, this was my first diff work, and I don't really like it either. It was worth it so far though. Do you think you can add a little more info for the sake of those searching for info later? For example:

Auto or Manual tranny?
    Manual hubs?
    What type of rear locker did you have at the time?
    What is the typical type of terrain that you would use it on? (this is great since you're on the east coast and have different terrain)
    Did you do any on road driving in the snow with it? If so how was the handling?

Thanks
    My signature

i have an auto tranny, was running a detroit tru-trac in the rear at the time . in the snow on road it wasnt bad just let off the gas and coast the corners , off road without having the rear locked sucked. i would go up an obstacle and the font end would pull and slide you left or right. i think it would be different if it was double locked.
    trd supercharger rear elocker 4.30 gears