Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attend A Public Scoping Meeting on Proposed Marine Base Expansion

Attend A Public Scoping Meeting on Proposed Marine Base Expansion

Help Save Johnson Valley!

Attend A Public Scoping Meeting on Proposed Marine Base Expansion

Working together everyone can help save Johnson Valley. However, your participation in the public decision making process is critical. You can help save Johnson Valley by attending one of the three Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Base expansion scoping meetings. Just walking through the door of one of the meetings to ask questions and gather information sends a loud and powerful message that the future use of Johnson Valley by the public is important to you!

Meeting Dates

December 3, 2008, 5 p.m to 9 p.m., Twentynine Palms, CA (Twentynine Palms Junior High, Hay’s Gym, 5798 Utah Trail, Twentynine Palms, CA)

December 4, 2008, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Victorville, CA (Hilton Garden Inn Victorville, 12603 Mariposa Road, Victorville, CA)

December 5, 2008, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Ontario, CA (Convention Center, 2000 E. Convention Center Way, Ontario, CA)

The Marine Corps is studying it's needs to meet the Marine Corps Expeditionary Brigade (MEB) sustained, combined arms, live-fire and maneuver training requirements. The scoping meetings are designed to solicit input from stakeholders, the affected public and agencies regarding issues or interests that should be studied or the reasonable alternatives that should be considered for the study moving forward. Each of the three scoping meetings will consist of an informal, open house session with information stations staffed by Marine Corps representatives. Public comment forms will be available and gathered at the information stations, and a stenographer will be available to take oral comments for inclusion in the record.

At this time the Marine Corps is studying five potential base expansion alternatives and a No Action Alternative. These study alternatives include:

Alternatives 1 & 4 – Add 188,000 acres West of the base and 22,000 acres South of the base. These alternatives effectively include expansion in to all of the Johnson Valley OHV-Multiple Use Area. Training movements and live-fire exercises differ between Alternative 1 and 4.

Alternative 2 – Add 122,000 acres West of the base and 22,000 acres South of the base. This alternative includes most of the Johnson Valley OHV-Multiple Use Area.

Alternative 3 – Add 228,000 acres East of the base and 22,000 acres South of the base. This alternative does not include expansion into Johnson Valley.

Alternative 5 – Add 188,000 acres West of the base only (Johnson Valley).

No Action Alternative – Marine Corps will seek no additional lands, MEB exercises would occur on existing base.

Take Action Now – Attend at least one public scoping meeting and encourage your family and friends to do the same, and pass along this information to others you think are interested in Johnson Valley’s future. Visit the Partnership For Johnson Valley at www.pfjv.org or Friends of Johnson Valley at www.fojv.org for additional information and the latest updates.

Re: Attend A Public Scoping Meeting on Proposed Marine Base Expansion

Do you care if I copy this over to yotatech ?

I think ill Try and make it on the 4th.
    Stipid question : Are you / which one will you be attending...?
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

well this may be an unpopular veiw but there is a lot of desert out here. if the marines need specifically Johnson valley for training, id let them have it.

They dont need it.
    and we cant let them have it. if you do the next hting you know the "greenies" will be "needing" ALL of the desert. It's all about setting precedents.

Copy this to any board out there, get the word out!!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    well this may be an unpopular veiw but there is a lot of desert out here. if the marines need specifically Johnson valley for training, id let them have it.
    there trying to take OUR land, and yes if they need it they will get it BUT there are other options for the Marines and thats what were fighting for!! If they take the land its going to have a major impact on the local towns and economy. The land is more than just land there is a lot of history, mining, animals, movie making, and much more out there. Im glad to see your willing to roll over and give up that easy

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    Do you care if I copy this over to yotatech ?

I think ill Try and make it on the 4th.
    Stipid question : Are you / which one will you be attending...?
    Have at it tell them the Brawlers say Hi
    Im going to the 12/4 meeting and poss the others just not 100% sure yet.

I'm going to try to make it to the Dec 4th one. I have class that night so it will be cutting it close for me.

my experiences has shown me that training marines is pretty darn important and live fire exercises need tons of land to be done safely. its not rolling over or giving up, its needs of my nation before my own recreational needs. if there were no where else to camp and ride a 4 wheeler around here id have a harder time approving of this, but as it stands from the cajon pass all the way to las vegas is nothing but places to camp and ride a 4 wheeler.

now if someone wanted to take that land and close it off to motorized vehicles just for the sake of preserving its "history, mining, animals, movie making, and much more" that is oh so rare up here in the high desert lol. then id be upset and making my voice heard.

That's just the problem...there are other areas the marines can choose for their expansion, but they want to take over an area that is extremely popular to off road enthusiasts. Once that area is shut down, it will greatly increase traffic to the other trails up here in the high desert and local mountains. This increase in traffic will cause the trails to become torn up faster (we're already seeing this on John Bull and Gold Mtn from the fire closure of Holcomb Creek). Guess what, once the greenies see that these trails are getting torn up, they'll be all over shutting those down, too. It's a slippery slope and we need to make sure it doesn't happen.

I have been attending OHV volunteer meetings for the San Bernardino National Forest for the last 4 months or so. If the ranger in charge of this department is concerned about the closure of Johnson Valley, then I am, too, cause he knows what's coming next.

im pretty sure they just want the area that will train marines best. that may end up being johnson valley. i will hope they find one of the alternate places being more suitable to there needs for everyones sake.

you gotta admit the place looks just like Afghanistan/Pakistan.

I think,well know, because I used to live on 29palms marine base, That the marines already have ENOUGH room to train on the base...the live fire they do there is enough, not to mention camp pendleton...MCAGCC is large enough, they DO NO need to expand.

And Pimp, I told everyone the brawlers said hellow
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast