Thread: chromos for 3rd gen rear (schaefer)

chromos for 3rd gen rear (schaefer)

I know steve is running the polys in his, but are the 4cyl and 6cyl rear ends the same on these? And if so then which ones are they?

Also, will the speed sensor ring go on them because I dont have the luxury of using the output shaft ring. (damn technology)

im thinking the 60 isnt going under this thing until next winter is why Im wondering.
    97 runner and 02 tundy

Re: chromos for 3rd gen rear (schaefer)

http://www.sonoransteel.com/SA_Parts.html

Poly Performance Toyota Rear Axles: Tacoma
    -CNC machined from high quality 4340 material
    -Tapered design allows maximum strength
    -ROLLED SPLINES
    -Polished finish ensures TOTAL elimination of all possible stress risers

i'm not sure about the speed sensor ring. you'll have to ask steve about that.
    -andy

Both the 3.4 and the 2.7, 1996-2002 4Runners got the same rear axle, 8" V6 diff and axle shafts. Basically they made so few 4Bangers that they just used the V6 stuff on those trucks. Which makes sense if you think about it, why make different parts for 10% of the production run. Only the transmissions an t-cases spline counts are different, besides the motor. 2.7 has 26 spline, similar strength and size to the old 21 and the 3.4 has the 23 spline of the Turbo 22RET.

At Polyperformance you just order the "Tacoma" axles and they work. You'll find that they are a hair longer then the stock ones and just stick in the diff a bit further, no problems.

Since I removed the ABS System completely, I had them use the spacer slugs from the Non-ABS Tacoma instead of putting the ABS gears back on. I also have these rear axles on my Rock Buggy and CheeseBurger has them on his 4Runner as well.

They are cut on a lathe from a chunk you can tell they were not cast. So far no one has ever broke one.

1999 4Runner/Dana44 Front Axle - 1990 4WD Mini Pickup, 2006 Tundra & 1948/1981 CJ2A Rock Buggy.

hey steve, how did you remove the abs? did you change your computer to one that didnt have abs?
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Because the base model 2.7 could be sold with or without ABS. Unlike the SR5 or Limited, those you had no choice, you got it. There was a separate computer for the ABS. I literally removed the entire brake system and replaced it with the base model Non-ABS System. The chunk came out, non-abs mater cylinder, the hard lines, etc. Everything. This is the same brake system that Casey's (NitroHotPants) 1998 Base 4Runner came with new and where I first saw it. The 2001-2002 do not have the "chunk" you guys have a completely different Master Cylinder/Booster altogether with an integrated chunk.

On the white 96 I did which has a 3.4 we did the same thing, out with the ABS and in went the entire base model brake system. The exception was I left the rear of the ABS system as it did not have that freakin lame level valve, I used the Willwood proportioning valve instead that is sent by hand. Works well.

1999 4Runner/Dana44 Front Axle - 1990 4WD Mini Pickup, 2006 Tundra & 1948/1981 CJ2A Rock Buggy.

sounds good man. I got a rid of everything ABS except the computer. I just needed room for my ARB compressor and thought it was a good spot. Im running my speedo off my rear speed sensors and it pisses me off. They either get torn off, fill with water, burn in half, freeze or whatever.
    97 runner and 02 tundy

You can get the t-case sender, there is a plug where it would go on the t-case, the problem is the part is like $200 bucks.

My truck came with that electronic t-case sender. I have the white truck running off of one rear ABS sender for the speedo as well. Sometimes it get confused and stops working for a second or two and then comes back up. He's not real interested in dropping 200 for the sender. He also has an FJ40 and is working on that right now.