Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handgun Advice?

Handgun Advice?

Never owned a handgun before, over the last couple months I decided that I need/want one. Not sure exactly which one yet (thinking 1911) but after reading some posts here and on the gun boards I decided to join the local range and try out a bunch of rentals to see what I like.

I used to shoot competitive rifle (indoor and high power) back in high school so I understand basic safety and know how to shoot a rifle. I've only shot a pistols once before and remember not being able to hit much with it.

So my question is what is the best way to learn to shoot a pistol? If I go in and just start shooting a rental could I teach myself bad habits that will take a long time to break? Should I spring for a lesson or 2 before I start? I'd like to buy something soon, before the next desert trip, so I want to move ahead as quickly as possible. Thought I'd get a better response here than on the gun boards, after reading the post here I really respect your opinions.

Thanks.

93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Re: Handgun Advice?

Are you looking for something to have fun with on the weekends or concealed carry? I wouldn't get a 1911 as a first handgun. They maybe nice and all but I'm pretty sure the consensus is that you've got to spend some big bucks or it's junk. There maybe some exceptions like Springfield's 1911 A1 and Taurus. I personally don't like them and don't plan on owning one but their nice to look at.

So you're looking at a .45? Keep in mind the cost of ammo. Even at cheap places, in bulk and on sale you're looking at over $25/100 rounds. If this is fine with you fine. For poking holes in some paper at the desert I think it's a waste for an all around gun. People get into reloading and save some money but I think you'd have to shoot a lot to re coupe the cost of buying the equipment, again I'm pretty sure you have to drop some dough to be taken seriously, and learning. I've never done it and most people will say it's easy but in my experience thats coming from people who grew up doing it, had some who knew what they were doing teaching them, and were using nice equipment. I was going to get into it when I was going to the range once a week but found out that the guys on the gun forums were only willing to help if you were using what they were using otherwise it was kind of a crap shoot.

Having said that I have a .45 and most of the time buy white box Winchester from WalMart. The gun is a Glock 21 and I've had a real fun time with it. It's simple, accurate and fit's my hand. The G21 is a full framed/sized gun and doesn't fit people well. I don't have huge hands but the thing feels right at home one and two handed. I have zero need to carry it so the size is fine. Some people are afraid of the zombies and feel the need to carry full sized .45's with them but I couldn't tell you if this one would really fit that bill.

I also have a Springfield XD, 9mm. I like this gun because my wife likes to shoot it and it's a little cheaper to shoot. It's also a simple gun, as in there's not much going on and it's not picky with ammo. It fits nice and is also accurate.

Both of my guns didn't break the bank and I can go out and have a good time with them. That's all I really wanted out of them. Some are into having the high dollar stuff but all the guys I know that have them have problems with jamming and they're picky with ammo. All those guys also have trigger jobs and a lot of after market stuff where I'm perfectly fine with mine.

Another chambering to look at is the .40. It's got some punch and is a little cheaper than the .45. Some would say for personal protection and and home defense don't go with anything else than a .45. I think the .40 is a good compromise but shooting a handgun in the house is pretty risky especially if there are other people in the house. Shot guns are a little better for that because they have less of a tendency to go through walls and just the sound of chambering a shell has to be worth it if you ever need to.

Sig's and Rugers are something I'd also look into. They seem to have positive reviews and won't cost as much as a Kimber TLE or HK.

Thanks Mike, I've been going back and forth on what I like, the XD feels really good to me, I love the sigs (Damn you xonethruthcrewx ), I've always wanted a 1911 but after reading and thinking it would stupid to pick a first gun without trying it or something similar so I have totally put that off until after I try some at the range.

Looks like I forgot to explain my reason for getting a gun. We go to some pretty isolated areas and I am starting to feel uneasy especially when we take the kids. I'd like to have some protection from the possible threats out there. Longer term I was hoping to get get back into competitive shooting, one rational for the 45 but I really want a pistol more for remote area safety. No Orange County CCW for me (or any one else right now) so I am subject to those constraints.

So I am really looking for shooting instructions and advice more than gun advice right now, that will come later.

Thanks.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

I would recommend that you hit the range a few times and test out various guns in different calibers to find the best one that fits your hands. Just because one gun works for me may not be the same for you. Also if you have significant others, it might be a great time to introduce them to it too so they too can be educated on using the firearm properly. One other thing to note, go back a few times testing the same gun you liked because your likes/dislikes may change from each trip to the range.

Insight Range Inc in Artesia is highly recommended by a lot of OC folks on CGN (calguns.net).
    http://www.insightrangeinc.com/

Check them out and find out how much their lessons are. Another place is in Brea but I forget what they're called.

O btw, if you're planning to buy, check out gunbroker.com (it's fuster's favorite place on the internet! hehe). If I had to buy anything I'd hit them up first to see if their prices are cheaper than the local shops. Remember that if you buy online and the store is out of state or out of town, expect to pay FFL fees etc to bring the firearm to a local shop. Also exepct to pay DROS fees (but that's expected even if you buy locally). 10 day hold on all purchases

I may be visiting Insight next week (time permitting) so if you want to meet up let me know. I'll be renting a few too just for kicks
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Thanks Lance, that place looks good and it's not too far away from work. Definitely up for meeting you if I can, I'll even buy you a beer or two if you have the time.

I am going to the local range tomorrow, they are on my normal route home for work so I was thinking I could get a practice session at least every week or two. Their memberships are very reasonable and they include free gun rental so if I like it I am going to join. http://www.firingline.net/huntingtonbeach/. Not as nice as the place you linked but very convenient for me.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

As soon as I firm up the date I'll let ya know. Most likely be Thursday.

I've gone to the Burbank Firing Line and had a blast so I'm sure the HB one should be no different.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Quote Originally Posted by RobG

Looks like I forgot to explain my reason for getting a gun. We go to some pretty isolated areas and I am starting to feel uneasy especially when we take the kids. I'd like to have some protection from the possible threats out there. Longer term I was hoping to get get back into competitive shooting, one rational for the 45 but I really want a pistol more for remote area safety. No Orange County CCW for me (or any one else right now) so I am subject to those constraints.

You want to be careful in CA and I guess any state for that matter. I'm no lawyer and there are so many different stories and senerios out there but it gets pretty dicy when it comes to protection with a gun outside of your house. This is one reason I wouldn't carry concealed. For one I could never get a CCW (Sacramento Co.) and 2 I couldn't afford to shoot someone. Even if it's in self defense it'll tie you up in legal matters for a long time. I know most will say that's fine, at least they're alive and their family is fine but it's a different world out there. I have a friend that with his wife carry extra insurance (I don't know what kind of policy it is) that covers them in case they are involved with a self defense situation.You also run into certain parameters when traveling with the gun in different counties.

My buddy always said that a dead man can't testify. He's the one with the insurance.

Lance that would be cool. Their rates are reasonable, even for instruction. And the rental is cool "When you rent a firearm at Insight Shooting Range, you need only pay a flat fee and you can have access to every weapon we offer. Just return your current pistol or rifle and ask to use another"

Mike, thanks for the warning. I'm definitely not looking to shoot anyone, It's mostly just for that feeling of security. Last trip we were on we saw large cat paw prints during the day and were sure we going get a visit at night. Many miles from anyone and cell phone service.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Quote Originally Posted by RobG

You want to be careful in CA and I guess any state for that matter. I'm no lawyer and there are so many different stories and senerios out there but it gets pretty dicy when it comes to protection with a gun outside of your house. This is one reason I wouldn't carry concealed. For one I could never get a CCW (Sacramento Co.) and 2 I couldn't afford to shoot someone. Even if it's in self defense it'll tie you up in legal matters for a long time. I know most will say that's fine, at least they're alive and their family is fine but it's a different world out there. I have a friend that with his wife carry extra insurance (I don't know what kind of policy it is) that covers them in case they are involved with a self defense situation.You also run into certain parameters when traveling with the gun in different counties.

My buddy always said that a dead man can't testify. He's the one with the insurance.
    isn't it sad that the world has come to that? you can't even DEFEND YOURSELF without getting sued. i'm not going to get all worked up about it again but it makes me wish i lived back in the day when everyone had a gun and people were less crazy and there was no such thing as a lawyer. there was only a judge, a rope, and a tree
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Rob,

Went to Insight earlier today to get a few rounds in. I checked out what was on the rental shelves and they had a good mixes of glock, springfield xd's, beretta, sig (220/226), hk p2000 to name a few. I only checked the 9mm since that's the only thing I was shooting today.

When you went to the HB Firing Line, did you by any chance see any other sig 9mm rentals besides the 220/226? I'm trying to find a 229 9mm to shoot as well as a 2022 9mm. I can try to visit Colin but damn he lives a bit too far for me

check your pm!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast