Thread: Welding Questions, Answers, and tips

Welding Questions, Answers, and tips

I thought since lots of folks need to weld once in a while but don't weld for a living, a thread to post up welding questions would be worth while. Since welding questions often are really more fabrication questions and a good welder knows a lot more than just how to make a pretty bead, I'll try and keep this first post updated with the info condensed. If you have a specific or general welding question or maybe a problem about your project post up here and when the answer comes I'll update that into this first post. As much as possible I'll try and keep this to things that commonly occur with 4x4 fabrication. I'll leave that esoteric stuff up to the pros. Please feel free to correct me as I am not a professional welder.

General:
    - Link to an article on Welding Distortion
    - When you weld upside down remember you will likely get deeper penetration so watch out for burn through.
    - Skip Weld(Stitch Weld) and back-step help reduce distortion.

- T-Joints (other types do too) need to be stitched or warping will occur as the bead cools and the metal shrinks. Do not do one long continuous bead. Use multiple tacks to help hold pieces in place.

- Stitch weld. This helps prevent warping. It may look like you weld as if you are leaving bread crumbs but you actually put one weld down, go to a different part of the material away from your most recent weld, and continue to weld so that you are not building up heat in one area.

Hammering out your stitch welds with a ball peen hammer can help reduce distortion as well. An air hammer is a lot easier but whatever works to slightly deform the weld bead and allow it to relieve the stress.

MIG: Those new people that are looking into buying a machine, for best all around use, buy a Mig. Mig by far is the easiest to see good result. - 4runnerchevy -

TIG: If you are looking at a TIG because you want to weld other metals you'll need a TIG machine that does A/C to weld some metals like aluminum. D/C TIGs are relatively affordable you can buy one in the hundreds. An A/C D/C TIG that can weld just about any metal mild steel, stainless steel, copper, gold, titanium, magnesium, etc. and it might seem like the way to go because of the freedom but for what we as wheelers do it's rare that anyone works with anything other than regular mild steel due to cost. TIG also normally uses Argon for a shielding gas instead of CO2. My tank which stands about 4 feet tall costs about $60 to fill and I'd estimate it'll take about 3 tanks of argon to finish my stainless 304 rear bumper with a swing out carrier. It's also a lot slower. I can weld 3/16" steel with a butt joint at about 10 inch/min with TIG. MIG is several times faster. TIG also takes a little more coordination. I however learned on TIG so I can attest it's not that hard. If you are a perfectionist or a tweak there's a reason why airplane parts, race cars, and other high end welds choose TIG. Control.

Aluminum: If you want to weld aluminum you will need a welder that does A/C. With MIG you will likely want to buy a hand spool instead of running aluminum wire through the machine. A hand spool tends to have less problems with the softer aluminum jamming.
    2001 4Runner SR5 - 1.5&quot; 4Crwaler BL | Toytec Coilovers TT-AFCS-550 | <br />OME 891s | Bilstein 4R96-BIL | Armorology Bull Bar | Warn M8000 | Engle 14 quart Freezer/Warmer&nbsp; MHFD-015E-D | Cobra 18WXSTII&nbsp; | Thule basket | Yokohama Geolander MT+ 305/70R16 | Low profile cargo | rear seat panel | Laptop mount | Globalsat BU-353 GPS |&nbsp; NGEO Topo | Delorme Topo.

Re: Welding Questions, Answers, and tips

We have to keep in mind that this is text book weld. Not your normal out of position welding on off road vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy
    We have to keep in mind that this is text book weld. Not your normal out of position welding on off road vehicles.
    Exactly. I've found that things I've been told or taught don't really apply to real world situations. Welding my sliders up with a TIG welder is a good example of that. It took a long time I'd hold myself up in an awkward position as long as I could then collapse inbetween welds. It took hours to do what a MIG could do in minutes. Not to mention that I think a MIG would have done better where the parts of the steel could not be cleaned well enough for a TIG. I'm hoping to get some practical info and help here. The textbook stuff is good but it just doesn't always apply. Got anything that comes to mind that might be helpful?
    2001 4Runner SR5 - 1.5&quot; 4Crwaler BL | Toytec Coilovers TT-AFCS-550 | <br />OME 891s | Bilstein 4R96-BIL | Armorology Bull Bar | Warn M8000 | Engle 14 quart Freezer/Warmer&nbsp; MHFD-015E-D | Cobra 18WXSTII&nbsp; | Thule basket | Yokohama Geolander MT+ 305/70R16 | Low profile cargo | rear seat panel | Laptop mount | Globalsat BU-353 GPS |&nbsp; NGEO Topo | Delorme Topo.

Just a few comments for now.

Those new people that are looking into buying a machine, for best all around use, by a Mig. It can be GMAW machine (gas wire) which can usually run FCAW (flux core), or strickly a FCAW machine. Mig by far is the easiest to see good result.

What effect does quenching mild or stainless steel in water have on it?

-Depends on the type of metal, it definitly cools faster, and can make things very brittle.

When welding a T-joint how much will the steel move? How many degrees should I offset my steel to compensate for the bead contracting?

-This is unkown, cause it depends on thickness, heat, and type of material. It also depends on if your welding the back side.
    -Stainless moves more than mild steel
    -Aluminum moves more than Stainless

What settings should I use on my welder for 1/16" 5052 aluminum?

-Depends on the user, position, and machine. I personally would start low around 45. I weld 1/2 aluminum at around 250, and 1/4 around 110-140 depending on position.

Great thread topic!...
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM