Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! With my Viair compressor/tank combo!

HELP!!! With my Viair compressor/tank combo!

So my wife bought me a Viair compressor/tank combo for Christmas this year, decided to give it to me early as I'm going wheeling tomorrow, and last night I very happily began to install it...

It wasn't till I had it out of the box, and almost bolted down that I noticed that the fitting on the tank is for 1/2" tubing, not the type of fitting that you can put a quick release type. So, my question is, are there other fittings that I can use that will convert this 1/2" tubing fitting unto a size that I can use for a quick release?

Here's a few picture of what she bought me.

And the link to the product:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VIAIR-20005-150-PSI-2-Gallon-Onboard-Air-Kit-FREE-SHIP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el126 2QQcategoryZ33585QQihZ004QQitemZ140229185096QQtcZp hoto"]Viair Compressor and Tank[/URL]

The fitting in question is the one on the right in the bottom picture. The tank is actually tapped for that size fitting, so I can't just replace it with the quick release. I'd really like to make this work, as I don't know if I can return it now that I've opened everything up. Any ideas, guys?
    CJ &lt;IXOYE&gt;&lt;<br /><br />03 Tacoma DC TRD 4wd, bunchamods <br /><br />Avatar artwork courtesy of the one and only 04 Rocko Taco.

Re: HELP!!! With my Viair compressor/tank combo!

Go to Lowes/HD in the plumbing section. The small brass fittings section (usually near the toilet stuff) has a huge amount of adapters and such. You should be able to find an adapter to make it work.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

If it's 1/2" NPT (National Pipe thread) then find a reducer from 1/2 NPT to 1/4 NPT. Then stick a coupler in there and you're down the road :-)
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Quote Originally Posted by L33T35T 4Runner
    See, I need the opposite of that. And actually, I think I need an 1/8" to 1/4" or 1/2" NPT adapter. The tubing fitting that's in there is an 1/8" I believe. So to get a quick release fitting to work, I'd need an 1/2" wouldn't I?
    CJ &lt;IXOYE&gt;&lt;<br /><br />03 Tacoma DC TRD 4wd, bunchamods <br /><br />Avatar artwork courtesy of the one and only 04 Rocko Taco.

I'll check the Depot and Lowe's. Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I find.

my guess is that hole is NOT 1/2 NPT. most likely 1/4 considering the size of the tank.

most quick releases are 1/4"
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I pretty sure most quick release fittings are 3/8 or 1/4 NPT. I know you can get fittings to bush that no problem. You should even be able to do that with only one fitting. Try not to end up with a whole Christmas tree of pipe fittings.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

I couldn't look at the link in the original post because it's for eBay and it's blocked here are work. From the picture in the original post it looks like the fitting on the tank might be a 1/8" and possibly for a Viair hose. I would take what ever fitting is in there now, off so you just have the whole in the tank. Take the fitting you have off and take it to Lowes or Homie D. It's either a 1/2" or 3/8" which are common for that application. The part you're looking for is called a bushing (I don't know why because it doesn't look like a bushing to me. Either way get a brass one and not a cast one.

Now it sounds like you're wanting to plug a hose into the tank via a coupler. If it were me I'd get a busing that went from the size in the tank (1/2", 3/8", whatever) to 1/4"NPT female. Then I would get a coupling (that will except the hose fitting you are using) with male threads. Screw the coupling in the bushing and you're ready to go with only buying 2 pieces. Another option you do is get an 90* elbow to direct the coupling to the side and not straight up. Straight up might make it more suspetable to getting clogged with mud and water. The elbows will be with the bushings, most of the time they're called street elbows (once again why street? I don't know). The elbows come in male and female ends with all kinds of different threads.

Ok now looking at it a little closer the fitting that might be on the tank might be a compression fitting. It it is it makes sense that it's 1/8" (now thats hose ID and not thread size). It's a common size for aig bags and street suspension which I think that compressor and tank were made for. No problem, take it off and get the above mentioned parts. That means you'll have to buy and hose and fittings which is no problem because the 1/8" is a little small for even airing up. Get one of those yellow coil 25' hoses and a female threaded coupler, female threaded coupler end that goes in the couple (for the other side of the hose, and an air chuck. Now you're in business, plug your hose in the coupler that you've installed on the tank, plug on you air chuck and turn it on.

Cheers to early Christmas gifts. Especially offroad related ones from a SO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast