Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chopped roof idea for 4Runner

Chopped roof idea for 4Runner

I have been playing around with the idea of cutting off my roof for a while and was wondering what everyone thought of the idea. My idea was to cut the roof behind the headliner and replace it with a roll cage and some sort of soft top similar to a Wrangler. I realize the issues this could create as far as leaks and extra noise, but I'm ok with that. I know it seems silly to cut off a perfectly fine roof/ sunroof, but I've always missed the open air feeling of a Wrangler, which is why I made tube doors earlier this year. The soft top would go the length of the roof, and then come down and cover the cargo area of the truck (where the rear glass is, but I would still try to keep the rear hatch and window the way it is by somehow mounting the old hinges to the cage.

Please feel free to give any feedback (positive or negative), but I really want some constructive criticism or insights as to problems I may run into, such as wiring issues, or anything else. I will be looking into the cost of this over the next month, as I don't trust my welding skills/ my small welder to be strong enough to do this safely. Also, I am looking for tube recommendations, I was originally looking into 1.5" .250" wall DOM.
    Thanks,

Rob

Re: Chopped roof idea for 4Runner

Check out Mossyrocks' 4Runner.
    Also, I would talk to him as by now I am sure he has the MOST experience with it.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I have seen his 4Runner and I like his chop, but I was hoping to keep the cargo area covered instead of a truck bed style like he made his. After looking at a few jeep pictures, my idea would be closest to a 4 door Wrangler like this one in the link, except the rear portion of the cage would go the length of the truck instead of slanting.

http://my.project-jk.com/showphoto.php?photo=19678

I'll send him a PM and see what suggestions he has
    Thanks

give me a side shot of your truck Rob, ill photoshop it for you
    The art of design is how you communicate your message to said audience

Quote Originally Posted by NC994Run
    I have seen his 4Runner and I like his chop, but I was hoping to keep the cargo area covered instead of a truck bed style like he made his. After looking at a few jeep pictures, my idea would be closest to a 4 door Wrangler like this one in the link, except the rear portion of the cage would go the length of the truck instead of slanting.

http://my.project-jk.com/showphoto.php?photo=19678

I'll send him a PM and see what suggestions he has
    Thanks
    Sounds like you want a stock bodied 4Runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey

Sounds like you want a stock bodied 4Runner.
    More or less, I want to replace the roof sheet metal and rear glass with a removable canvas top, I've also been toying the idea of trying to add a truck style tailgate and eliminating the rear hatch, but nothing is set in stone right now

That is gross overkill on the cage tube. 1.5" .120 is the standard for interior cages. Aesthetically I prefer smaller, by the time you hit 2" it is pretty.

I always wonder why do this on a late model truck. For something different, yeah sure. It sounds like you want a 1st Gen 3rd Gen.

Good luck, ask questions and please do a good job.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

I will not be doing this personally. If I go through with this, it will be done by a local off-road shop with experience in building buggys, cages, etc. I do want a 1st gen, but don't want to have to deal with paying insurance on multiple vehicles (my 3rd gen will become a weekend only truck in May) and I will already be paying for that + a daily driver, so this seems like a logical combination of the 2, as I don't want to sell my rig in order to build a 1st gen.

Thanks for the input, I definitely won't let this be a half-ass job

My 86' cost me 10 bucks a month, liability + un-insured motorist, in insurance and I have three vehicles and two perfect drivers ? I also live in Cali. Buy a 1st gen for the price your gonna invest.

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy
    My 86' cost me 10 bucks a month, liability + un-insured motorist, in insurance and I have three vehicles and two perfect drivers ? I also live in Cali. Buy a 1st gen for the price your gonna invest.
    ^^ What he said. The older they are the cheaper to insure. I'm 22 and my '83 is peanuts to insure.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast