Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another attempt at an IFS 3rd gen skidplate

Yet another attempt at an IFS 3rd gen skidplate

After seeing a couple of front skid plate designs I've decided to take a stab at one. My factory one is throughly beat and integrity compromised. Because it's all beat up it's hard to get on and off not to mention the holes don't really line up any more.

I've looked at the aftermarket ones and even ones for different vehicles to get ideas. For the most part I think I'll copy them. That's the intent but once I get to cutting we'll find out. I have 2 belly skids and I hope to incorporate them to this new plate.

Here is what I've been using as a belly pan. It hasn't taken too many hits so I think I'm going to trim it up some, maybe add some speed holes. The piece on the very front in this picture is what I made to replace the rear factory section. My new design will replace the 2 front factory pieces.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 11-12-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Re: Yet another attempt at an IFS 3rd gen skidplate

I spent a couple of hours the other day and built a cardboard template. Something that is 3D and that I can mount in place. The nice thing is that it's light, can grind with scissors and drill with a screwdriver.

What do you think? Other than the fact it's not metal. The idea is to cover everything that is covered from the factory and a little more plus some beef.

Last edited by 4x4mike; 11-12-2013 at 09:00 AM.

i think it looks exactly like the bud built front skid what thickness and what metal are you going to use?
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

lol, what he said!

looks alot like the budbuilt. i would look at maybe strengthening your front cross member, i bent mine quite easily, hence the reason im not using it as a mounting point (at least until i can cut it out and weld in a 2x4 box.)

looks good!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

It's more of a copy of the SkidRow skid plate but it has some Budbuilt essence in it. Mouting the thing up will be the hard part. It looks like the Bud Built, Skid Row and factory ones all mount differently.

Front of the skid row

Side View

Inside of the Bud built. Notice there are no "feet". I'm thinking I'll try to get away with this. As for the rear mounting I'm not sure yet.

I plan on using 12 gague as that's what I have on hand now. If it turns out the piece I have now is too small I may look into something else.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 11-12-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    lol, what he said!

looks alot like the budbuilt. i would look at maybe strengthening your front cross member, i bent mine quite easily, hence the reason im not using it as a mounting point (at least until i can cut it out and weld in a 2x4 box.)

looks good!
    Google Skid Row, it's more like their's. If you look at the Bud Built ones you notice they don't have the mounting feet on the inside front like the factory one does. I think they mount on the front with three bolts and then on the rear they mount using the 2 nuts that hold the steering rack on. I think they can get away with this because the material is thick enough. I'd rather not make the little feet because I doubt I'd be able to make 2 similar ones (lack of skill and practice) and I have a stripping hole in that cross member already.

As for my crossmember, it's taken a big hit. The factory skid plate has 3 feet, 2 of them are used for mounting. The middle one is more of a support column for the middle of the span. Well it's been shoved, very hard, into that cross member and the dent is more than a 1/4 inch deep, maybe 1/2". Everything up there looks fine and I don't really know when or where it happened so it's water under the bridge at this point.

lol, That Skid Row plate looks like the side of a tour bus, very blunt. Can't someone make a strong one, that allows you to slide over, instead of bashing into a rock.

Dude, Just throw that cardboard on there, That should get the job done

More progress you need

Good luck

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerchevy
    lol, That Skid Row plate looks like the side of a tour bus, very blunt. Can't someone make a strong one, that allows you to slide over, instead of bashing into a rock.
    For the most part the skid plate needs those outer dimensions. The big block in the front protects the radiator. Right off the bat I was hoping for something different but I don't want to sacrifice coverage or make something really big and more noticeable than stock.

how much is this costing you in materials? id love a good skid plate but they al charge alot for them and there all kinda over built. very interesting to see your progress!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast