Thread: deep snow can fill your airbox

deep snow can fill your airbox

this maybe old news to everyone but ive been bombing around in the snow the last few days enjoying myself. but today the truck was getting slugish on my offroad short cut to work. shes an old war horse so i was kinda scared something serious was wrong and stopped on the road side as i got off the trail. anyhow i checked the air filter first wondering if the snow was getting in there and sure enough it was packed with ice and snow. popping the access panel off and scooping a bit of snow out brought it right back to life. it felt good to get underway and pass the chevy avalanche that saw me with my hood open in the middle of nowhere and didnt bother to even slow down to look

Edit: im an idiot lol. the only reason it got in the airbox is because i had my wheel well liners out. i thought the intake was behind some other platic shroud but if you look up in the wheel well on a 96 it has a plastic pipe that brings the intake directly over the tire.

Re: deep snow can fill your airbox

Haha, it just provides extra dust filtration.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

and you all laughed at my snorkel...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

internal snorkel FTW

funny, i had this happen to my mercedes this monday. i had neglected to put on the fender wheel well trim and that protects from upwards splashing. the obnxiously large air filter was soaked and heavy.

and no, no deckplate mod for the biodiesel benz!

yeah, i almost killed my truck tonight on the way home, going down the road in thick fog and all of a sudden water walls to each side 5 feet high and coming into the sunroof, get to the other side and the truck started to surge and lights started to dim and flicker...

If my skid plate had been in place it might have helped a bit.
    Thinking its time for a snorkel...

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    yeah, i almost killed my truck tonight on the way home, going down the road in thick fog and all of a sudden water walls to each side 5 feet high and coming into the sunroof, get to the other side and the truck started to surge and lights started to dim and flicker...

If my skid plate had been in place it might have helped a bit.
    Thinking its time for a snorkel...
    Sounds like more of an electrical issue than an induction problem. Probably filled your alternator with water or something.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

The filter was soaked, I had to get my off road one out of the back, i think it hit the MAF too...

Yea your probably right about the MAF. I've never had a vehicle with one before, hehe, dont know how they react to water.

Yeah, we will see how it is in teh morning, she bounced back but who knows...