Thread: FNG lookin at a '93 Toyota Truck

FNG lookin at a '93 Toyota Truck

Howdy y'all, I am looking for a 4x4 and have been for a while now. I started out looking exclusively for an American brand such as Ford or Dodge, but after my parents switched from a Dodge to a new FJ and we went out wheelin around a few times I have decided that a Toyota is the directoin that I need to head in. I've been looking around without much luck for a month or two now, everything I find is either beat to hell, or its too expensive for its age. But last night while looking on Craigslist I think that I found a good deal.

Its a 1993 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab, 4x4, V6, 128k miles, Sunroof, A/C, Power windows, Power Locks, SR5, CD/casette deck, and its a Automatic. The asking price is $3,500 and that seems fair to me but I have yet to call the owner and see if there is anything wrong with it (the Ad says that it is in great condition, but then again they all say that )
    I just got a call that my loan has come through but it will take a day or two to clear. So this weekend if it is still available I'll give the guy a call and go from there.

So if you are still reading this long-winded first post, do you have any words of advice for me? If the truck is still available and I do go look at it what should I look for (problem spots etc.)?

Thanks for the advice(hopefully)
    Pants on Head Retarded

Re: FNG lookin at a '93 Toyota Truck

There are many who'll disagree with me, but the 3.0 v6 doesn't have the best reputation. There was a common problem with it blowing headgaskets and a massive recall. The recall has ended, but it's still a common occurance. If I were in the market for a pre 96 toyota I'd stick with the 4cyl 5spd combo.
    Brian

Brian is right the 3.0 is a horrible engine.
    But to find an ext. cab, 5spd, 4wd, you are almost stuck with the 3.0.
    At least in my searches to find one
    (I am looking for around the same year, but without all the bells and whistls)
    I just can't find one that isn't already touched by someone who has made it practically a show truck...

since the truck is in AZ you don't have to worry about rust, well if the truck originates from there then yeah you don't need to worry.

By any chance do you know the mileage?

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    Brian is right the 3.0 is a horrible engine.
    But to find an ext. cab, 5spd, 4wd, you are almost stuck with the 3.0.
    At least in my searches to find one
    (I am looking for around the same year, but without all the bells and whistls)
    I just can't find one that isn't already touched by someone who has made it practically a show truck...

since the truck is in AZ you don't have to worry about rust, well if the truck originates from there then yeah you don't need to worry.

By any chance do you know the mileage?
    128 thousand miles.

I do appreciate the quick replies, I was kinda worried that I wouldn't even get a view on the topic because the last new post on this forum (buy/sell advice) was in like april or so. anyway I need to stop daydreaming and get to work
    Pants on Head Retarded

Another thing to think about is what are you going to be doing with this truck?
    Are you gonna make it a DD/weekend wheeler?
    or a street queen?
    or a designated trail rig that you might do a solid axle swap on eventually (don't worry to much about what i just said, might be a little head of where your going)?

I wouldn't necessarily let the 3.0 problems scare you away, but I will warn you that the 3.0 and automatic tranny 4wd are a total dog. Partly due to a really tall overdrive and due to the integrated transfer case. I would at least try to hold out for the 5spd manual w/ either the 22re or 3.0.

You can get the vin # and call toyota to find out if the headgasket recall was done on that particular 3.0. Also, get as much history from the owner. I have noticed that those who had the recall done before they blew a headgasket, have had better luck. Those that took it to toyota for the recall after they blew a HG seem to have more issues.
    My signature

Ditto what slosurfer said. They usually don't have any little annoying problems so they're either running great or they have a blown headgasket. Mine has been extremely dependable except for the two blown HGs and I have 200,000 miles on mine.

I'd suggest a manual transmission too, because it'll have more power.

Other than that, there's not much major that goes wrong with them. You'll have to do all the typical maintenance things that go along with an almost 16 year old vehicle. There are a couple recalls like the HG and also the steering linkage. Both might work in your favor because there's a possibility of getting the HG recall done free and all new steering components free. However, the stories go both ways where the dealer insists on the customer paying for the ancillary replacement parts or the dealer pays for it all. You'd have to call the dealer with the VIN and find out first.

Also look into the tacomas with the 3.4L.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Nevermind guys, I called the guy this afternoon and he sold it this morning while I was at work. Oh well I guess that it wasn't meant to be

Pants on Head Retarded