Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *You guys know about this yet* 2001-2004 Tacoma's added to Frame Recall

*You guys know about this yet* 2001-2004 Tacoma's added to Frame Recall

Just a heads up, a family member from back east got a notice to bring in her truck for an inspection, and frame treatment.

It seems (from what she read to me) that it's specifically targetting areas where roads are salted, but FWIW, I know I've seen trucks out here in California with similar issues, whether they were Pacific Coast, or Sierra Nevada driven, both had some places w/ rust.

Which means, it never hurts to get under your rig and check things out.

If anybody has a direct link or further info, please add it in for posterity's sake.

Re: *You guys know about this yet* 2001-2004 Tacoma's added to Frame Recall

Found this posted on Edmunds...

------------------------------------------

Owners of 2001 – 2004 Tacomas have begun to receive letters informing them of a Customer Support Program for frame perforation caused by rust. This warranty extension will be offered for a period of 15 years, five times the original coverage, with no mileage limitation from the vehicle's in-service date, for this specific condition; some conditions apply and these are explained in the Owner Letters.

I can assure you we have gone to great lengths to fortify the integrity of this extraordinary program. Here are some details of the program and what we have done to prepare for this event.

Based on our experience with the 1995 – 2000 Tacoma, we were able to determine that greater than 97% of the perforated frames came from twenty specific Mid-Western and North-Eastern states where road salt use is prevalent.

Owners in the twenty states will have until October 31, 2010 to visit their local dealer for an inspection and application of a corrosion-resistant treatment process in order for the extended warranty to be applied to their vehicle. Toyota is currently preparing the dealerships in these specific twenty states to apply the corrosion-resistant treatment. Customers will receive a letter from us when dealer preparations are complete. Further details and limitations will be provided in the owner letter. Owners in the other thirty states do not need to take action for the extended warranty to be applied.

We encourage owners to wait until they receive their letters to ensure the dealer has ample time to spend with their vehicle.

If the frame is confirmed by the dealer to be perforated, it will be repaired. Obviously, this new program is different compared to the earlier model Tacoma and here’s why.

When we announced the 1995 – 2000 Tacoma program, frame repair was not an option for us or our customers. At the time, we no longer manufactured frames for many variations of these vehicles. In the case of 2001 – 2004 Tacoma, replacement frames are still in production.

To develop this new program, engineers here in Los Angeles, working with Toyota engineers from Japan, created a more comprehensive and less intrusive disassembly and reassembly process with built-in quality. In doing so, they identified all of the major and ancillary parts needed to complete the repair.

Along with a frame, dealers will receive kits that include all the necessary nuts, bolts, washers, clips, mounts, etc. Additionally, they will replace specific major components like leaf springs and lower control arms as necessary. They won’t replace mufflers, brakes and other wear items as part of the program. However, if the owner wants these parts replaced, we provide the opportunity to take advantage of labor savings.

We have allocated a generous amount time for dealers to complete the work and to address the unique challenges specific to each vehicle.

We are confident with the unprecedented steps taken with both programs to minimize the inconvenience of our customers and to protect the value of their vehicles. It is our intention to deliver on the “total ownership experience” and to maintain loyal Toyota customers.

We sincerely appreciate the feedback we receive from sites such as Edmunds.com. If you have any concerns with your Tacoma or other Toyota vehicle, please call our toll-free help number at 1-800-331-4331. Thank you.

Brian R. Lyons
    Safety and Quality Communications
    Toyota Motor Sales USA
    Lance<br />2001 4Runner Limited 4X4 (Sonoran Steel Stocker)<br />315/75R16 MT/Rs | MT Classic IIs | Dual ARBs/4.88s | (F) 5125/Tundra Coils (R) 5125/LC Coils | 4Crawler 1.5&quot; BL | Aisin Manual Hubs | Slee Sliders | Sonoran Steel Rear Bumper | TJM T-15 w/ Warn M8000

i wonder what states need to bring there trucks in to get the warranty extended?

I haven't got anything in the mail.
    Cupholder Mod

The local Toy dealer I drive past regularly here in Pittsburgh always has a bunch of Tacos collected at the end of their parking lot. I haven't seen any double cabs yet though.
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

The word now is that some 01-02’s are getting the same treatment as the 95-00’s (meaning crusher). They’re saying it depends on whether it’s worth it for them to replace the frame or not, so it’ll be taken on a case-by-case deal.
    Land Cruiser

I dont get it, how can they say the frames are a recall and all when the older trucks were and still are complete rust buckets?

I also dont understand how my 96T100 can not be rusted utterly out and its been in a salt area all its life and how 4runners arent affected in this recall.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I'm not sure about the T100's, but the Tacoma frames were made by Dana Corp. and did not get treated with rust proofing material that all of the other frames get treated with. This is why the frames are rusting. T100's all probably got treated. 4Runner frames were built in Japan (I think. Not by Dana, anyway), and are fully boxed.
    Land Cruiser

I think it had to do with shipping them across the ocean. Weren't the tacos made in North America and the 4runners in Japan? That is the conclusion that was come to on another forum.
    1997 4Runner 3.4L Auto 4x4

All Tacomas up through 2004 were assembled in the California bay area (Fremont).

I don't know where Dana built the frames, though.

EDIT: Google to the rescue...

http://dana.mediaroom.com/index.php/press_releases/1653

Quote Originally Posted by Dana
    The Stockton facility provides full-frame assemblies for the Toyota Tacoma
    pickup truck assembly line at New United Motor Manufacturing Inc. (NUMMI), the
    Toyota-General Motors joint venture in nearby Fremont, Calif. The Tacoma
    frame consists of 144 components. Dana produces frames for 11 different
    models of the truck on a just-in-time basis.
    --- Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast