Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SAS T100

Re: SAS T100

Quote Originally Posted by YotaT10095
    Ya i have springs and i think im going to just go with them and worst case scenerio i have to throw down 600 dollars on new ones. One more thing is I am going to have 6 shocks up front, im not sure if this is going to make a difference but thats that plan. And there is going to be 4 shocks in the rear.
    I think im just going to concentrate on getting the axle swap done with the springs i have since it seems to me stifness is a term that differs from person to person and it all comes down to opinion. Its not like its hard to swap out springs. thanks for all the replies.
    I see how this thread is going, so i'll step out. Good luck with it .

Well i hope i didnt offend anyone. Im just curious to what others do, like i said im a beginner. I have taken in everyones opinions and i think the best thing to do would be try the ones i have before i buy new ones. so thanks again to everyone
    Dont be angry when  you get what you voted for...

Haha, I don't think you offended anyone. You're just building your truck for a different purpose, than most on this site do. No worries.

I do wonder why you need 10 shocks??? What will be the end purpose of this truck?
    My signature

It's just that the vast majority of people here don't build show trucks. Everyone builds their truck for off road performance, with an emphasis on mild to moderate rock crawling. A few people here are in the hardcore rockcrawling realm.

The people here who put solid axles on their trucks are usually in the hardcore group. This means super soft springs, lockers, dual transfer cases, etc. Skyjacker, superlift, etc are not the vendors of choice for the rockcrawling toyota crowd. Marlin and Allpro, are mom and pop stores that cater to us, with Trailgear being a little larger.

Having more than 4 shocks total screams mall poser. That might have been cool back in the 80s before rockcrawling and the need for huge articulation, but now a days it's not. We'd all be glad to give you advice on how to build up your truck to hit the trails, but I don't think we're any good with show trucks.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I just have that many shocks lol. I will clearify what the purpose of my truck is. Since I think a lot of poeople are curious. I like the way T100's look with 10 inch lifts. That being said, I understand that it is top heav and could tip much easier. I also would love my truck to be able to go offroad and minor rock crawling. I probably wouldnt go rock crawling but i could see myself going out on river beds and what not and there are some pretty big rocks. I also want my truck to be able to be drivable on the street around town. So I would like the best offroading truck i can have with a 10inch lift.
    I wasnt going to put a locker in the rear at first since I have had one my truck in the past and it was loud and not to great on the street, but i might add one later. I dont need 10 shocks obviously,
    but i have that many. So i want it to have a 10 inch lift and be able to be driven around town. I want to have the best offroad truck i can get with those two requirements. I hope that clearifies my needs a little, sry for not being clear in the beginning.
    I have zero help on this sas. I have all the tools and me thats it, so im trying to learn as much as possible before i tear my IFS out, once that happends there is no turning back.

That's the other thing, that much lift also screams mall poser. A lot of us try to get the biggest tire possible with the least amount of lift. But if that's what you want, then that's fine.

As for the actual SAS, it's pretty easy on the smaller trucks and 4runners and it should be pretty easy for a T100 since it's so similar. Do a search in the Fab section and also on pirate4x4 for writeups. Note: do not post on pirate, especially your plans for 10 shocks and 10" of lift. You will get flamed bad. A lot of the parts you will need, like spring hangers can be bought off the shelf.

In a nutshell, all you have to do is cut off your IFS, cut a couple holes in your frame, weld on spring hangers, and bolt everything on. That is, if doing a T100 is similar to a normal truck or 4runner.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Well the more I read about the swap and pics I look at the more i feel very very confidant i can do it. The only thing I am worried about is the driveshafts. I have two really good ones, but ive never worked with driveshaft angles.
    Im glad you all think 10 shocks is overbore.......I do have 10 though. I am going with just 4 shocks i think now after chatting with everyone on this post.

Im not pulling anyone chain or trying to ask stupid questions. I would love to have a very very capable wheelin truck.
    I also want to create an exact parts list for a T100 swap to wear the owner of the truck only needs to choose the spring height.

Just to chime in about your drive shaft issue. Dont be too worried about that. Once you get everything put together, just take measurements or better yet take the truck to a driveline shop and they will build you the best driveline to fit your needs. That way you dont have to worry about screwing things up by your self. I fab and build everything on my projects... Except for the drivelines. Let a pro do that.

Good choice on going with 4 shocks. Sell all the 10 chrome ones, and use the money to buy 4 good bilstein's.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

Thanks for the reply.
    Well I have the dana 44 I bought from extreme gear offroad allready. Obviously the pinion isnt going to be at the right angle on the front or the rear after I put decent sized springs on the truck.

What axactly are the people i bring the truck to going to do? Im really lost when it comes to drivelines. I cant even picture it in my head how they are going to change the angle of the pinion. I noticed some people rotate the knuckles around 12 degrees to get a better angel. Is this a possibility for me?

I do have two tom woods driveshafts that i was hoping to use. They are both double cardon cv shafts, and i have heard they help a lot with the pinion and t case angles idk. I kinda wanted to use those because a couple guys i talked to down south that did a sas swore by them.

Another question off the subject is im trying to order a welder and im curious if a miller 180 is good enough to do this kind of fabrication it says it welds a 5/16 max. I can get a new one for 650 dollars which is pretty cheap. If you have any advice or have used a certain type of welder i would like your opinions.
    Dont be angry when&nbsp; you get what you voted for...

One thing about rotating pinion angle is that it also rotates your kingpin angle, also known as castor. This affects driveability and can cause lots of problems if not set correctly. Death wobble being only one of the issues you will deal with. You will probably have to shim your axle with degree shims to get the castor right anyway. Properly rotating the pinion involves cutting your tubes and re welding them with the pinion a few degrees clocked. Lots of work.
    So basically the driveline shop will not change your pinyon angle at all. They will build you a driveline to deal with whatever angles and lengths you need. The pinion and t-case angles do not have to be at the same angle. Just give them your TomWoods shafts and they can probably make those work for you.

Check these guys out, they are very reputable in the crawling world. http://highangledriveline.com/

As for welders, get 220 volt gas wire feed. That miller 180 should be good enough.
    My welder, I love it... Does everything I need. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._340600_340600
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast