Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: T100 Engine Swap to V8

Re: T100 Engine Swap to V8

One thing to consider is that if you go the Toyota 5.7 route, the tcase that comes with the 5.7 has a driver side drop. IIRC, the T100 has a passenger side drop, and I would assume your d44 has the pumpkin on the right side as well. The 5.7 is a pretty new engine, and I would be very surprised if anybody has a kit to mate it to the tranny you have already. And I doubt the A340 (if you have an auto) could handle that kind of power over a long period of time anyways. Pretty much anything can be done with enough time and money, so I'm not saying a 5.7 swap is impossible, but it would require alot of work.

So from the little bit I know, I think the only way you could get a 5.7 in there is to either buy a 5.7 from a 4wd Tundra and swap tranny, tcase. and get a front axle with pumpkin on left side, OR buy a 2wd Tundra 5.7 and run a divorced tcase with the drop on the passenger side using your D44 that you have already, OR build a custom bellhousing or adapter plate and try to see how long your A340 will hold up to the power. And none of those options even include wiring, which I have no clue about.

Personally, if I was going to do a engine swap in a T100, I just drop in a 4.7 and be done with it. It'll be a bit of work, but easier than a 5.7 and you still have a Toyota v8 motor.

Or you could just do what Kevin suggested and drop in a SBC.

just my $.02.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

First off, I want to welcome you to ultimateyota. I've noticed that you've been posting a lot of questions about your t100 and am happy to see you interact with our community. We have a really great community here with a lot of knowledgeable members so tapping this resource will be awesome!

With that said, before we/I can help ya out with more details I'd like to throw you a bone to pick at.

Though I have not done any extreme builds/projects, I have seen many exotic and awesome builds performed by many members in this community as well as others with the same interests and hobbies we have. Much of these builds/projects really begin with a vision such as the one you possess. The success of the vision heavily depends on the quality of the research performed.

With this in mind, to be able to effectively help you in a positive manner it would be best if you can provide us with a detailed list of what you wish to accomplish with your t100. The reason why I ask you this is because I noticed that you also posted a question regarding spring packs / leaf springs configurations for your t100. One thing that I really didn't see (or maybe I missed it completely) is what you want to do with your t100.

What are your plans? Do you plan to make it into a rock crawling monster truck? A truck to bash and have fun in the mud? A speed demon on the dirt? these various terrain and configuration will greatly impact what kind of configuration we feel would be your best combination for your time of "good times".

Other things that will help us:
    Budget - sky's the limit?
    Time - when do you anticipate to have this truck running again? 6-12 months? 12-18 months? 18-24? etc
    Skill - can you do this yourself or will you need assistance? if yes, what kind? welding, fabricating, installation, electrical, fuel? etc

these are just a few sample questions to help get your brain jump started. it might be a bit overwhelming but if you plan your project and detail every aspect, you'll be surprised how easy the implementation of your vision will be. Not only that it'll be spot on! (ok maybe I'm lying because this never happens - even for the pros!)

So back to the original question....
    Engines.... since you're in CA, as long as the engine is the same year or newer and it is from the same vehicle classification (i.e. truck series and not a sport car / sedan) the CA BAR won't complain. Also you'll have to make sure it follows all of the current smog rules for that engine. I'm sure I'm leaving out a lot of the other CA BAR laws but as you dig into the researching phase you should be able to find out what the minimum requirements are.

If you want to stick to a Toyota specific heart, then by all means you can enjoy a few different combinations. Many will heavily dictate on what you want to do with your t100 so I can't really help ya out. I will say I'm a really Toy fan so I'd love to see a Toy engine in there (since $ is not an object) But leaving the bias-ness aside any SBC will suffice too.

Hope I didn't scare ya Good luck!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I fully agree with Good Times. While I fabbed my parts for my swap, there are parts all over the web for what you want to do. It takes a great deal of thinking and research, as well as mad fab skills. There is a T100 with a 44 under it, in my town, but he had someone do it for him. Whatever you choose Toyota, SBC, SBF, just make sure you think it through.

As far as CA smog laws and the Bar, I have a wealth of info on this subject.

Heres the rules
    http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che..._V-8_Smog.html

If you want details of a chevy swap, I have it for you. I womt waste my time till you have made a final decision though.

Thanks for the reply once again. I havnt decided on exactly what engine. I was just curious to what people have chose in the past. You have awnsered that for me perfectly. I will ask for more info once i decide. thanks again
    Dont be angry when  you get what you voted for...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123