Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hi-Lift vs Bottle Jack?

Re: Hi-Lift vs Bottle Jack?

Somehow, my Hi-Lift finds it's way into use for something almost every trip. It's the only thing I have tall enough to change a tire on my rig on the trail, but thankfully, that is an infrequent event.

Believe it or not, the sum of it's parts is greater than the whole. That is, it seems to get taken apart and used for something more than it gets used as a jack/winch. The handle makes a great substitute for a bent tie-rod/drag-link, the main beam replaced broken leaf springs and so on. Carrying a Hi-Lift, along with basic supplies, is like having an auto parts store with you on the trail.
    -Rob<br /><br />Slightly Modified 2001 Tacoma - WATRD.COM<br />Tread Lightly! certified Tread Trainer<br /><br />Search 100+ Toyota tech sites, including this one: Toyota Tech Search

just today, I got a flat on the trail, the bottle jack did just FINE.
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Yep, the more I learn the more I think an equally suitable name for this thread could be "Air vs Water. Which is more important to have?" I keep being reinforced that they are different and ya need both.

For example when I change my CV on the trail I need the Hi lift to jack it up and the bottle jack to push down the A arm.
    2001 4Runner SR5 - 1.5&quot; 4Crwaler BL | Toytec Coilovers TT-AFCS-550 | <br />OME 891s | Bilstein 4R96-BIL | Armorology Bull Bar | Warn M8000 | Engle 14 quart Freezer/Warmer&nbsp; MHFD-015E-D | Cobra 18WXSTII&nbsp; | Thule basket | Yokohama Geolander MT+ 305/70R16 | Low profile cargo | rear seat panel | Laptop mount | Globalsat BU-353 GPS |&nbsp; NGEO Topo | Delorme Topo.

Does any one carry a leatherman daily?

My buddy carried a leatherman for years. He used it all the time. Then he lost it. Funny thing was; he no longer needed it all the time.

It seams that, such is the case of the HiLift. ... And if you really needed one; Isn't every other yahoo carrying one?

Quote Originally Posted by coronan
    Does any one carry a leatherman daily?

My buddy carried a leatherman for years. He used it all the time. Then he lost it. Funny thing was; he no longer needed it all the time.

It seams that, such is the case of the HiLift. ... And if you really needed one; Isn't every other yahoo carrying one?

X2

If you are coming from a point of need vs want then I suppose you could use that kind of logic with just about anything. Cell phones, cars, lights, etc. You can get by without any or all of them but it's harder to argue that it's better without them.

Since I originally started this thread I've had the luck of being able to run many, many trails and I still carry both. If I had to leave one of them at home it'd be the bottle jack. The times I've used my bottle jack for my own rig was to push down the A arms when changing out a CV axle but since then I've found out that it's not necessary if your A arms are adjusted to the correct ride height. You can also loosen them up on the trail if you don't have a bottle jack.

I've helped change so many CVs that imagining changing out an axle without a hi-lift makes me groan. Hi lifts are big and heavy but as someone that has a few trails under my belt I can say that they are very useful and when you need one there's really no good substitution.

When I started this thread I was trying to find a good enough reason to not carry a hi-lift but in the end came to accept that there really isn't a good reason to not have one. I spent a little extra time to make a new mount for mine and now it's not even a consideration. When I'm on a trail it's where it should be, with me. Maybe some new knowledge or a better tool will come out but until then I keeping my hi-lift, heavy, bulky and all.

As far as the logic that a lot of other people have one... do you really want to be "that guy"?

Here's my latest high lift mount. It's got two stainless steel cradles that hold the hi-lift on the carrier arm and then a single knob as an extra measure of security. Works like a champ. It's secure, controls the rattles, and is easy to get remove and remount. The new mount takes care of my main complaints of space and easy access.
    [img width=800 height=531]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/glenyoshida/2012/120411%20Kokopelli/DSC_1844.jpg[/img]
    2001 4Runner SR5 - 1.5&quot; 4Crwaler BL | Toytec Coilovers TT-AFCS-550 | <br />OME 891s | Bilstein 4R96-BIL | Armorology Bull Bar | Warn M8000 | Engle 14 quart Freezer/Warmer&nbsp; MHFD-015E-D | Cobra 18WXSTII&nbsp; | Thule basket | Yokohama Geolander MT+ 305/70R16 | Low profile cargo | rear seat panel | Laptop mount | Globalsat BU-353 GPS |&nbsp; NGEO Topo | Delorme Topo.

Back when I use to wheel in groups, I never carried one, for the simple fact that has already has been post, AND, Im not/wasnt snapping axles every run, I have used (my) hi-lift ONCE on a trail, (popped a bead) and yes, there was about 4 other hi-lifts there that day, lol
    Now that I chose to wheel with a very select few, or just myself and one other, I do carry mine, BUT Im not snapping CVs every other run either, so Im not needing it on every trail
    IF I was to wheel with a group larger than 4 rigs again, the hi-lift will prob stay home.

if comes down to, if you have it, and want to carry with you, do it..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123