Quote Originally Posted by Ric
Quote Originally Posted by oly884
Quote Originally Posted by Ric
Pics or it didnt happen.. lol

I have NEVER used my hi-lift, and dont personally know anyone that "needed" to use it, once someone "wanted" to use it, just to say they did. But we had 2 winches, which would have done the job in a fraction of the time, and not risk damaging his rig.
I dont even take mine anymore, "Got winch" just sits in the garage.
I never wheel alone, we always have atleast one winch, to many straps to count, and plenty of rock stackers I mean people, lol 4 years of wheeling every weekend, Ive never seen a "need" for it. (the mall is pretty tame )
winch + skid plates = no need for a hi-lift
There are those times where we venture out on our own, or there are those people who don't have a winch. I suppose that if you have a winch and never go out alone you could possibly justify not carrying one. However, if you put yourself in situations where you could get stuck, I would always carry one. Your winch breaks, your buddy can't get to you, etc. It's not worth it to just say "I didn't need it"
well I NEVER wheel alone, just to much can happen. everyone I wheel with, carries straps, most have a winch, (incase mine didnt work) snatch bocks, etc etc etc. like I said, in the 4 years of wheeling "every" weekend, I have never needed it, or seen anyone on a trail that "needed" it, thats why mine is baried in the garage, lol
Ive yet to see a picture of someone using a hi-lift, that needed a hi-lift, where a winch or straps couldnt have done the same thing, only faster and SAFER.
To each his own, however, given the thread title, I would say that a hilift is far more valuable than a bottle jack in just about any situation aside from pavement, but you can still make the argument that a hilift is just as useful. Something can be said for weight and space for a hilift, but to me, I'd much rather be prepared for any situation. If you get a flat, there's always the chance that a bottle jack is not going to be able to lift your truck high enough. Have a lift? Well, I know that a stock bottle jack wouldn't really up to the task to get my truck high enough without blocking it up. I can relate it to something else that I personally do:

I carry a gun for defense of me and those around me. I have never needed it, nor do I ever want to NEED it, but it does not keep me from carrying it. I sacrifice space, weight, and ultimately comfort when I carry it, but those factors do not keep me from carrying it. The same can be said for a hilift. I'd much rather have one in the truck and never need it as opposed to not having it in the truck and needing it. However with all this said, it comes down to comfort. If you feel comfortable not carrying one, then don't, but if you feel a need to carry one, then do so.