Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Lift vs Bottle Jack?

Re: Hi-Lift vs Bottle Jack?

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    Pics or it didnt happen.. lol

I have NEVER used my hi-lift, and dont personally know anyone that "needed" to use it, once someone "wanted" to use it, just to say they did. But we had 2 winches, which would have done the job in a fraction of the time, and not risk damaging his rig.
    I dont even take mine anymore, "Got winch" just sits in the garage.
    I never wheel alone, we always have atleast one winch, to many straps to count, and plenty of rock stackers I mean people, lol 4 years of wheeling every weekend, Ive never seen a "need" for it. (the mall is pretty tame )
    winch + skid plates = no need for a hi-lift
    There are those times where we venture out on our own, or there are those people who don't have a winch. I suppose that if you have a winch and never go out alone you could possibly justify not carrying one. However, if you put yourself in situations where you could get stuck, I would always carry one. Your winch breaks, your buddy can't get to you, etc. It's not worth it to just say "I didn't need it"
    well I NEVER wheel alone, just to much can happen. everyone I wheel with, carries straps, most have a winch, (incase mine didnt work) snatch bocks, etc etc etc. like I said, in the 4 years of wheeling "every" weekend, I have never needed it, or seen anyone on a trail that "needed" it, thats why mine is baried in the garage, lol
    Ive yet to see a picture of someone using a hi-lift, that needed a hi-lift, where a winch or straps couldnt have done the same thing, only faster and SAFER.
    To each his own, however, given the thread title, I would say that a hilift is far more valuable than a bottle jack in just about any situation aside from pavement, but you can still make the argument that a hilift is just as useful. Something can be said for weight and space for a hilift, but to me, I'd much rather be prepared for any situation. If you get a flat, there's always the chance that a bottle jack is not going to be able to lift your truck high enough. Have a lift? Well, I know that a stock bottle jack wouldn't really up to the task to get my truck high enough without blocking it up. I can relate it to something else that I personally do:

I carry a gun for defense of me and those around me. I have never needed it, nor do I ever want to NEED it, but it does not keep me from carrying it. I sacrifice space, weight, and ultimately comfort when I carry it, but those factors do not keep me from carrying it. The same can be said for a hilift. I'd much rather have one in the truck and never need it as opposed to not having it in the truck and needing it. However with all this said, it comes down to comfort. If you feel comfortable not carrying one, then don't, but if you feel a need to carry one, then do so.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Don't leave the bottle jack behind, small and has a wonder of uses. Its a press, a spreader, a car jacker, and so on. I say carry them both.

Here's a recovery that was posted on Colorado4x4
    http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=153019
    I still carry both and probably will keep doing so. It's big and a PITA but it is a tool that is hard to replicate.
    2001 4Runner SR5 - 1.5&quot; 4Crwaler BL | Toytec Coilovers TT-AFCS-550 | <br />OME 891s | Bilstein 4R96-BIL | Armorology Bull Bar | Warn M8000 | Engle 14 quart Freezer/Warmer&nbsp; MHFD-015E-D | Cobra 18WXSTII&nbsp; | Thule basket | Yokohama Geolander MT+ 305/70R16 | Low profile cargo | rear seat panel | Laptop mount | Globalsat BU-353 GPS |&nbsp; NGEO Topo | Delorme Topo.

Looks like that guy got lucky..

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Never be unprepared. What happens if the winch breaks, your alone, etc, etc. A hi lift and a bottle jack are indispensable imho.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I have used my hi-lift a few times for myself and a few times for others. I carry mine all the time. Flat tire changes all so fast if you have sliders and a hi-lift.

Winches do not solve every issue especially when hi centered. Dragin diff's and drive shafts over rocks as apposed to jacking it up and pushing the vehicle over side ways seems like a bad idea.

This is a non-issue question in my opinion for lifted/off road vehicles. Pic in signiture line link of mine in use to change the drivers front tire.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

I don't carry a bottle jack. I would be lost without my Hi-lift. To change tires in my garage I have to have the hi-lift. I very rarely wheel alone, and when I am with others there are many winches and straps, but I feel better knowing my hi-lift is there....

I've personally used my hi-lift to change more tires than I can count, fix a transfercase on the trail, move a couple of high centered trucks, to winch my truck on occasion, and even just have a place to hang my hat.

IMHO, it is an indispensable tool. There is no reason not to carry it. I have a dedicated trail rig, and I like to run the "hard stuff" as such, I am prone to breakage, I understand this, its a fact of this hobby, hell its almost a way of life. I feel more prepared for myself and others by having one with me. Sure tihs sport is about helping others, and almost everyone is willing to do so in your time of need, but that doesnt mean you shouldnt help yourself. Carry your hi-lift.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I'm not sure I'd get next to this even it were on 2 hi lifts and 2 bottle jacks.

I do still carry the bottle jack though.

Hi Lift. Never leave home without it!
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

I've used the piss out of my Hi-Lift...there's no way I'd be able to change my tire without one, even then I stll have to chain my rear axle.

Mine is so worn in, that it works real smooth. Daily driving, mine stays at home, local wheelin if in a big group sometimes I leave it at home, but most cases it comes along.
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast