Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: superflow, mv-50, little red pump tear down

superflow, mv-50, little red pump tear down

i had a free minute today so i decided to give my pump some attention.

tear down is very easy to get at most of the goods. simple take off the top four "cylinder head" bolts. then the head flutter vales, cylinder and jug heatsink come off leaving you with a view of the piston assembly.

i haven't noticed any drop off in performance but i figured a tare down would be fun. i found quite a bit of dirt in mine and some scoring on the cylinder walls. the cylinder wall issue is strange as the "piston ring" had deformations but nothing that correlated with the walls. my guess is there was dirt or manufacturing debris to blame thats has sence passed through the system. the good news is if you flip the cylinder over you get fresh walls again as the piston only uses the top portion.

slime air gauge mode
    - not really happy with this...it flutters back and forth while the pump is on so its impossible to get even a idea of where your at while inflating. you have to turn off the pump to see what you have. the old guage may be going back in. at least i knew that when it read 45 it ment i was at 40 psi. sure the slime is more accurate, but if your airing down you most likely are already carrying a decent tire gauge. oh and by the way at first i bought a replacement air gauge at harbor freight. when it fluttered like crazy i figure it was just cause i had bought a cheap version since there was no mention of this behavior from others that had done the mod. so...i went out and bought the slime version and its exactly the same gauge

here is a picture of the cylinder and the cooling fins. you can see all the dirt on the paper towels underneith. also i have added thermal compound between the fins and the cylinder. that should help quite a bit to give those fins a chance to do there job.

here is the piston assembly. note that the flywheel is rusty even though this pump is only 4 monthes old

here is the uncleaned cylinder head to give you an idea of the amount of crug i found inside. either the air filter isnt very good or maybe this is bits of flash that have come of the Chinese parts. the pump is only 4ish monthes old.

Re: superflow, mv-50, little red pump tare down

Cool! The heatsink compound between the cylinder liner and heatsink ought to help significantly. Now I want to see you add a 25-shot of NOS and see what happens. :P

Re: superflow, mv-50, little red pump tear down

Very cool. I have two of those compressors running in the back of my truck. Last week we were up in cleghorn ridge where there was some snow. I had to air up 3 trucks with my compressors so i took some of the snow and put it on top of the "Cylinder head" They stayed nice and cool the whole time :-)
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

I bet your pump is nice and happy now. I don't have a lot of use on mine but it is a little workhorse. The filter that comes on them is sub par but I still have mine on there. I was going to add a better one but them it wouldn't fit in the ammo can I store it in.

how about using a K&N breather filter?

Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

edit: With the K&N the filter will make it a tough fit in a .50 cal ammo can. Chance are the filter that's half the cost of the compressor will get damaged while wheeling.
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/DSC06686.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/DSC06687.jpg[/img]

Thats an awesome little air compressor there. I've had mine for several years now. I'm planning on hard mounting mine under the hood and running its intake tube in the trucks air box.
    &#039;81 pickup, longbed bobbed short, 35&quot; Yoko&#039;s and tons of other goodies. 4.7 gear T-case. NEW: 20r/22r hybrid motor!<br /><br /><br />I done ran into my baby and finally found my old blue jean<br />Well, I could tell that they was mine from the oil and the gasoline

I dropped mine fairly early on and smashed the air filter to pieces, it was cheap and I figured replacement parts were unavailable, so I left it off. It has been running just fine for the past couple years without any cleaning, maintenance, or air filter.
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

I had both of mine apart a few times, and mine never looked like that inside ever.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    I had both of mine apart a few times, and mine never looked like that inside ever.
    must be the conditions out here. the poor thing is usually used out in the desert. my black car gets instantly dusty when im done washing it. a shine used to last weeks back home in the east

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast