Thread: Timing light

Timing light

'ello everybody,

I am in need of a timing light/gun. Was thinking of a craftsman. Reviews on their site for their gun steered me away. (sears did not sell a bulb for it!)

I really know nothing about engine timing. So something simple would be ideal. However i would like the ability to retard or advance timing if needed.

As always, advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Cheers,
    -Matt<br /><br />1988 4Runner, 22re, 5spd<br />1994 Mustang Cnvt, 302, 5spd

Re: Timing light

I have a Craftsman that my dad gave me. I've had it for 7 years with no issues. I suppose when the bulb burns out, I'll too old to work on cars anymore anyway...
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Mine is made by Sun. I've never heard of Sun before, but the timing light I have is probably about 20 years old. I found it in my dad's garage, and he said I could have it. Not sure if it is a good brand or not, or even if the company still exists, but I've had for 5 years and have had no problems with it. It was made in Chicago too.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I don't think I've ever heard of replacing a timing light "bulb" - it's not even really a bulb, but a strobe light soldered onto a circuit board behind a lens. I use one of those fancy chrome Craftsman lights, because, you know, chrome will get you home . . . or something

Anyway, get one with an "advance dial" - the little knob on the backside (some more expensive lights use membrane buttons) that lets you dial in the number you want to check for timing advance - the instructions that come with most timing lights will explain alot when you get it
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Instructions!?

SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM