Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning rust off an old gun.

Cleaning rust off an old gun.

I recently acquired my grandpa's old pheasant shooter. Not sure what year it is but its a JC Higgins 12ga. Holds three shells, bolt action. Anyways, the stock is in pretty good shape but the barrel is rusty. There are no holes, barely even and pitting. Just surface rust. What would you guys suggest? Just sanding and painting? Hers a couple pictures...

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/popsiclestick1/DSC00041.jpg[/IMG

1988 4Runner 3.Slow<br /><br />-33x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radials<br />-High flow cat/ flowmaster muffler<br />-Engine replaced at 200k<br />-Green Rattle can paint + Herculiner<br /><br />Wanted<br />1st gen parts, door hinges, interior etc...<br /><br /><br />God works through Christians; I am a Christian.<br />-George W. Bush

Re: Cleaning rust off an old gun.

First things first, what does the bore look like? Is it clean and shiney?
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Good point. I wish I could take a picture of it but it looks pretty good to me. No rust. Just dusty. Needs a good cleaning.
    1988 4Runner 3.Slow<br /><br />-33x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radials<br />-High flow cat/ flowmaster muffler<br />-Engine replaced at 200k<br />-Green Rattle can paint + Herculiner<br /><br />Wanted<br />1st gen parts, door hinges, interior etc...<br /><br /><br />God works through Christians; I am a Christian.<br />-George W. Bush

Attend to he bore first. If it is in good condition, then move to cosmetics. The finish you select will determine the rust abatement proceedures. Is this gun a restoration project?
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Yes it is mainly a restoration but I want to be able to shoot it also.

So I would consider having it blued professionally. DIY painted barrels rarely last and can actually create more opportunity for rust to form in the future.
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Considering that I just want it to look good and last (dont really care if its not a 100% perfect resto), hows powdercoating?

It shouldn't be that much to have it blued by a smith.
    My gunsmith doesn't charge that much. They would be able to quickly remove the rust and prep the surface and dip it.

You can get your own stuff from Midway,brownells, etc, but i think its worth the extra dollars to have it done by a smith. Avoids the mess,done right, and gets the gun looked over for safety reasons.
    &#039;83 Truck 4x4 - 4&quot; lift, downey header,, lots of stickers.<br />&#039;90 Runner $600 project ,32&#039;s on black Steelies,Optima Red Top, 1.5&quot; Balljoint Spacers, 80 series Coils, Sleeping/Storage Platform extravaganza<br /><br />You know enough to be dangerous, get out the way before you break something i can&#039;t fix- Pops

Sounds good to me. Now I gotta find mr.smith around here.

I've seen gun parts powder coated before. That is a fine finish which will endure most any solvent and heat index you expose it to. However, the cost to do it might be a bit more than to have it blued. I'll bet if you were so inclined and capable, you could shoot a two stage automotive finish on it. You might be cheaper for materials and given the appropriate equipment, you could git 'er dun in the garage in an afternoon. Imagine a burnished gold leaf imbeded in a few coats of clear cut and buffed. Now that would be some arsenal bling!
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast