Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning rust off an old gun.

Re: Cleaning rust off an old gun.

Now that sounds cool. This gun however, I cant remove the barrel from the trigger assembly and everything. Could be a trick to paint.
    1988 4Runner 3.Slow<br /><br />-33x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radials<br />-High flow cat/ flowmaster muffler<br />-Engine replaced at 200k<br />-Green Rattle can paint + Herculiner<br /><br />Wanted<br />1st gen parts, door hinges, interior etc...<br /><br /><br />God works through Christians; I am a Christian.<br />-George W. Bush

My choice would be bluing it first. You'd run into similar issues with powder coating as you would painting. Though it'd be left to someone else to get the powder coating right.

Also, you might want to read this:

http://forum.doityourself.com/firear...ins-12-ga.html
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Wonder if mines covered still =)
    1988 4Runner 3.Slow<br /><br />-33x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radials<br />-High flow cat/ flowmaster muffler<br />-Engine replaced at 200k<br />-Green Rattle can paint + Herculiner<br /><br />Wanted<br />1st gen parts, door hinges, interior etc...<br /><br /><br />God works through Christians; I am a Christian.<br />-George W. Bush

Its really hard to read but I believe mine is a 583.10 which was not under the recall. However, considering how hard it is to read it could be a 583.18 or 19 which were covered.

Home blue works ok if you put on sevearal coats.

Go to brownells.com and look up their alumahyde products. Its a spray paint that you either bake on (version 1) or spray on and let dry (version 2). It is a tough as nails epoxy based finish and so far I havent had a lick of rust or been able to get it off with anything intentionally or unintentionally. The cans only cost a few bucks and you can do it all yourself at home.

Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Awesome, I may go that route. I will take more detailed pictures, I may need some help dis-assembling it. I will have someone a little more experienced put it back together.

It worked really nice for me, I used the bake on and fortunately it fit inside the oven.

I doubt this barrel will fit in the oven =). This thing is long. The dry on kind sounds like it will work pretty good.

I sprayed some magazines with it and my friend went to a fighting gun class (he trains civvy contracter for IRAQ and other conflicts), the finish didnt een scratch really and they beat thier stuff in mud, rocks, water, etc.

Or you could find a buddy who has a pizza oven lol..

Alright here are some pics. I am thinking about just doing the bluing my self and taking it to a gun smith to reassemble.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast