Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger 10/22 Owners

Re: Ruger 10/22 Owners

Dang Oly, now you're speaking MY language!...
    SI VIS PACEM PARABELLUM

Quote Originally Posted by fustercluck
    Dang Oly, now you're speaking MY language!...
    It's all about the right language...

There's nothing like the 1-2 seconds a little varmint is standing there, after you pulled the trigger, when impending doom is literally about to rain down on it where you realize how much fun subsonic ammo really is.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    I'll also say for anyone looking for a fun 10/22 build. Look at the 60 grain Aguila SSS ammo, it's subsonic, but really packs a punch with the extra weight. It's also a pretty weird/cool looking round:

You'll need a 1:9 twist barrel to stabilize it otherwise it's fairly pointless to shoot the ammo, but when/if you get a barrel like this, it's a real tack driver. I can still shoot hi-vel ammo with no issues as well. The improved sectional density and ballistic coefficient of this ammo really makes for a fun long range 22. While the drop is fairly significant, it still can reach out 250+ yards and carry a punch.

I got my barrel from Green Mountain, but from what I have read, they have stopped making them due to low demand. Volquartsen makes these barrels, but they carry a hefty price.

However, with the performance and accuracy, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to build another 10/22 with a 1:9 twist barrel for the 60 grain aguila ammo.

I'm confused how a subsonic round with such a large (relatively) bullet can have such good range?

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

i own a 10/22 too. it has a cheapy bushnell scope on it that made shooting the gun that much more fun. everything else is stock. i do want to upgrade the stock and barrel, but its low on the priority list

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870
    Quote Originally Posted by oly884
    I'll also say for anyone looking for a fun 10/22 build. Look at the 60 grain Aguila SSS ammo, it's subsonic, but really packs a punch with the extra weight. It's also a pretty weird/cool looking round:

You'll need a 1:9 twist barrel to stabilize it otherwise it's fairly pointless to shoot the ammo, but when/if you get a barrel like this, it's a real tack driver. I can still shoot hi-vel ammo with no issues as well. The improved sectional density and ballistic coefficient of this ammo really makes for a fun long range 22. While the drop is fairly significant, it still can reach out 250+ yards and carry a punch.

I got my barrel from Green Mountain, but from what I have read, they have stopped making them due to low demand. Volquartsen makes these barrels, but they carry a hefty price.

However, with the performance and accuracy, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to build another 10/22 with a 1:9 twist barrel for the 60 grain aguila ammo.

I'm confused how a subsonic round with such a large (relatively) bullet can have such good range?

Erich
    Well, it's complicated a bit...

You have two main things to consider. You have the weight of the bullet and how well the bullet flys through the air.

Even though it's subsonic, the extra weight and how well it goes through the air it is more accurate. The "range" isn't really increased, but the accuracy at a longer distance is.

Think about throwing a piece of foam vs throwing a rock. Or think about throwing a ping pong ball vs throwing a golf ball... While you can probably throw the ping pong ball faster, it won't go further because it's so light it looses it's velocity faster.

This bullet also carries more energy down range. Once again, throw a ping pong ball 15 feet, and a golf ball 15 feet, which one has more energy at 15 feet?
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

hey david,

regarding replacing the barrel w/ a bull barrel, floating barrel, glass embedding, etc. how much did it cost you?

So, how do you think one of these tactical ones would do when the zombies come?
    My signature

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    I can't speak to zombie attacks, but when squeaks swarm, you need to be able to lay down some serious suppressive fire!

In all truthfulness, it really keeps things exciting when you have a full clip and multiple targets.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Wish I had money to buy a gun...

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    just remember, blades dont need reloading
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast