Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Gen glove box light

3rd Gen glove box light

It wasn't until recent that I was told my glove light box light was out. What? There's a light in there? Well I'll be there is a little corn kernal of a bulb in there and it looked a little black. I got a new bulb, pushed it in an bling, out came light. What I found tonight driving around it that it is only on when the driving or head lights are on (or when the gauge lights are on). Is this the same as others? It would make sense considering there is no pin switch on the box (this is why I thought there was never a light in there) but that means the light is on, for me, a lot with the door closed.

It's a small bulb so there isn't a lot of heat or anything but I'm guessing it'll burn out shortly again unless I'm missing something.

Anyways here's the bulb and part number for the ones who didn't know what they were missing.
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/DSC06688.jpg[/img]

Re: 3rd Gen glove box light

nice! ive never noticed that there was a bulb in there either. is that from the dealership? anymore then a dollar?

Yeah I went to the dealer. When I asked him for a glove box bulb for a '99 4runner he looked at me and said they didn't have lights. That's what I told him and then showed him the bulb. He didn't run any numbers but took the bulb to the back and came out with a new one. He said he has worked there for 18 years and never sold one. They charge $3.40 for one bulb. He gave me 15% off of that because he thought it was a little high. I told him he could make a killing if they sold one to everyone that came in for an oil change. I'm not sure if Kragen or AutoZone sells these bulbs. If so I imagine it would be the same price but maybe for 2.

Yea they have lights, all toyota trucks do afaik, but just like my T100 and camry they dont come on unless you have the gauge or lights on.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I would think you would notice the light leaking through the glovebox if it stayed on all the time. It has to have a switch somewhere...

No leaks. I was parking in the driveway checking the thing out. Even my Chevy had a light with a switch. Oh well, it's there and works. It's not bright but I guess it's only a box for gloves.

that's looks just like a 194 bulb - if it is, or if the socket is the same size, you should be able to get an LED replacement and never think about it burning out again
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

mine worked for about 4 months after i got my truck, then went dead on me. never really said to myself "god i wish i had a light in the glove box!" so i never bothered to replace it.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Anyone thought of actually wiring up a switch for it..?
    So that its not on 100% of the time..With the lights that is..

99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Probably not worth your time. It's basically the same bulb as the dash illumination.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast